Worst ever Punch related song?

Anything relevant

Worst ever Punch related song?

Postby gaz » 12 Jan 2012, 03:09

Well, there are probably a few around... but I stumbled on this one recently. It surfaced at number 26 in the charts late in 1977.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiZNUsIc4Z0

I think this is probably the worst Punch related song I have heard... unless you have a worse one :D
gaz
Beefy
Beefy

Re: Worst ever Punch related song?

Postby Nick Jackson » 12 Jan 2012, 07:53

Goodness! I'd forgotten about that one.
Was this woman having an affair with Himself?
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby CvdC » 12 Jan 2012, 14:26

Michaei jackson never sounded so good. What a relief!
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 12 Jan 2012, 20:54

I don't really know why Michael Jackson should be associated with songs about Punch - or about worst songs. He may have been strange but as a singer brilliant. Probably I'm missing something though, I don't always follow CvdC's line of thought.

There are a few contenders for worst song related to Punch. Pretty uninspiring was the one on the Junior ShowTime LP, and on that the swazzling was very poor (badly recorded) even though provided by the great Percy Press.

There was also a rather dismal folky song called "The Punch and Judy Man" which was based upon Percy Press - it sang of Uncle Percy on the Hastings promenade.

Gracie Fields did one which is quite jolly but, as I remember, more violent than the real thing.

My personal choice of worst ever would be Punch and Judy Man by Kitty and the Lost Boys and the whole of the opera by Harrison Birtwistle
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby CvdC » 12 Jan 2012, 21:21

The trick to understanding me, Chris, is to force yourself to watch the whole video to the end. By which time you will come to appreciate Michael's talents and those moves of his brothers.
I think the puppet is one of John Styles. Does this mark yet another of his many claims to fame?
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Peter » 23 Jan 2012, 17:23

The Punch was made by Tony Green who also did the swazzling.
Did I ever tell you about piece work?
Peter
Thick Link
Thick Link

Postby Chris » 24 Jan 2012, 13:49

I thought that wasn't John Styles, nor his Punch.

In a previous posting I made a mistake about the song about Percy Press senior - it was called Uncle Percy and the artiste was Almond Greenway and its on an album called The Complete Nut, Vol 3. You can find it via Amazon. I think you can buy the track as a single MP3 tune.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby gaz » 25 Jan 2012, 19:45

How interesting...Tony Green... I was wondering who did the voice. I have a book by him of novelty Punch routines, published by Supreme.

It really is a terrible song though.... right from the beginning it seems to be a bit deep for Ms Sarney's vocal range. I have to say I thought the puppet didn't look particularly good whoever made it.

For TV I would have thought a gaily painted one in better condition would have been an improvement. ( I am of course referring to the puppet, not the woman). Even the puppeteers arm is clearly pushing the bottom of the back cloth.

She did do a follow up single which didn't chart. So that makes this a definite one hit wonder. Thank goodness.

Annoyingly catchy though. :)
gaz
Beefy
Beefy

Return to Punch Chat