set of puppets

Anything relevant

set of puppets

Postby CvdC » 15 Feb 2012, 23:48

Here is an interesting set of puppets that appears on google. It looks like it my be in a collection somewhere. Does anyone know where one may see these puppets in real life?
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: set of puppets

Postby Richard Coombs » 23 Feb 2012, 00:55

Hi Chris ... 'fraid I dont know anything about this set ... but I love that the ghost is most certainly 'ghost of judy' .. its the most clear example of that Ive ever seen.

-she almost looks like the phantom jilted bride from disneys haunted mansion ride.

I adore these figures , even though I am aware that they are exactly the sort of figures people think of when they say 'Oh I dont like Punch and Judy ..it scared me as a child..the puppets look evil and frightening '

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby CvdC » 23 Feb 2012, 01:30

I think they are American.
I just like the duck on Joey the clown's costume.
I think they would be great in a night show with a light from under the play board. Preferably down some dark narrow street with shredded dirty bunting. An old Fagin like bottler who appears out of the shadows.
The drum beating a slow hollow thump with a shrill, slightly out of tune pan pipes playing.
And young children shouting "horsey, horsey"
Your worst night mare.

Last edited by CvdC on 28 Feb 2012, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby David Wilde » 23 Feb 2012, 16:49

These great Puppets are in the collection at Hornimans museum Forest Hill.

Some of the puppets have moveing mouths.
I was told that they were aquired from a junk shop many moons ago....
Im above all this!!
David Wilde
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Postby johnstoate » 25 Feb 2012, 01:51

Lovely scary figures!!! :D Does anyone know if they have glass eyes? - There's something that says'America' to my eyes too, and by way of date, (Some of them anyway) 70's?? - It just seems to me that the one next to the boxers? (Centre above the devil) bears a striking resemblance to a certain disgraced president :D Oh, and that duck? - I think it's a dragon (Viking type) - Or maybe a 'Nessie'??
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby James » 25 Feb 2012, 02:13

Sorry John and Chris. They're Victorian and British. As David said they're in the Horniman Musuem in South London. Well worth a visit!
Arnott's Gowns for Clowns, Est 1985
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby CvdC » 25 Feb 2012, 05:58

Are they on display? They're not on their website. I will make a point to see them in may. Perhaps I'll email and see if i can have a close look.
I only said they looked American to get a response. :)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 26 Feb 2012, 19:51

Victorian yes, but British? Not necessarilly. Could they be a French Polichinelle set? Notice Punch's costume and the tricolour on one of the boxers. If this is a French set then the duck on the clown is a duck - isn't canard symbolic of trickery?
Of course it could be a dragon with a Rawtenstall origin, or an ostrich.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby CvdC » 26 Feb 2012, 21:24

Well come with me on the Monday after the May Fayre and we will have a look. I will arrange a viewing and hopefully a handle.
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby James » 27 Feb 2012, 09:47

They’re a great set of puppets. I’m pretty certain they’re English.

The full set used to be on display, they were then added to a complete puppet gallery for a year or so. I’m fortunate in that the museum is only 5 minutes from home so we went over on Saturday. At the moment only the Beadle, Ghost and Devil are on display, along with a Victorian Clown marionette. But they are quite high up and not well lit. CVDC it would be great to see the full set out if you can get an appointment.

Bethnall Green Museum of Childhood also has Punch figures out on permanent display. Have you seen them?

James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 27 Feb 2012, 16:03

Huh, fancy going without a step ladder and torch.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby James » 28 Feb 2012, 09:28

My step ladder and I don't get on.
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 28 Feb 2012, 12:45

Ah. Sibling jealousy, perhaps you'll grow out of it?
Grow sufficiently and you won't need the ladder.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby CvdC » 28 Feb 2012, 22:12

I think that if you find out which area artists like to live in and you buy a flat in a good position cheaply, do it up and when the area starts to take off you sell it and be able to afford something better. James this sound advice will impress your step ladder and you'll get on.
Chris don't try to understand this, it will complicate things.
Last edited by CvdC on 28 Feb 2012, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 28 Feb 2012, 23:22

I hope you understand Australian logic James? I'm baffled.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Next

Return to Punch Chat