Puppets find a new home

Anything relevant

Puppets find a new home

Postby Chris T » 29 Feb 2012, 18:17

I have been on a road trip today to Didcot Parkway. Brian Winchester, known professionally as 'Uncle Brian' who has had to retire due to arthritis in the hands, was selling his complete set of figures. I purchased them today and brought them home, well worth the trip. Mr Punch and the Crocodile (Bryan Clarke puppets) are in very good condition. I've really lucked out on this occasion, it has made re-entering the P&J business a lot cheaper for me. Just waiting on my Brian Davey booth to be complete!

Below is a link to the original advert on gumtree with pics of the set.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/punch ... t/96351134
Chris T
Porky
Porky

Re: Puppets find a new home

Postby Chris » 01 Mar 2012, 00:03

Well done. Seems like a fair price. Have fun with them.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Chris T » 01 Mar 2012, 00:19

Thanks. I've had a run of good luck. Have a Mark Poulton Punch on order, he made a head for himself and decided to stay with his old figure, so I snapped it up. His presently being dressed.
Chris T
Porky
Porky

Postby Richard Coombs » 01 Mar 2012, 00:44

Its good that a nice set of figures will continue to be used ..good luck to you ( and yes I agree with Chris S, a good pice for what you have got )

But there are always two sides to every story ..my thoughts are with the chap who has just sold a set of puppets he has owned for years. Many folk would look on those little figures as 'friends' ..and even the most flint hearted would have to acknowledge them as treasured 'work tools' at least.

It must be hard to actually Part with them when the moment comes...I cant say I would ever like to do it.

So may I extend my Best Wishes to Brian Winchester , if he looks on this board.

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 01 Mar 2012, 00:47

And a quick post script for Chris T ..I think I saw a photo of that head Mark is doing for you this week.

..if that is the one I saw , it is indeed very nice.

Mark is currently making a little something for me at the moment ...and when he sent a pic of the work in progress , your Mr Punch head was in the background I think .

Nice !
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris T » 01 Mar 2012, 00:50

You are of course right Richard. It took him two years to decide to part with them, and he had performed for 40 years. I hope to continue on the tradition, and make good use of them. He actually has a larger Punch, that he couldn't let go of, and has decided to keep within the family. He was telling me that he just couldn't keep the shows slick anymore. I have promised to send him some pics once I'm up and running.
Chris T
Porky
Porky

Postby Chris T » 01 Mar 2012, 00:54

P.S to Richard,

It was an indulgence, but I couldn't resist once I saw him. My better half will kill me when he finds out I have ordered another Punch, but as you will appreciate, when you see an opportunity to own something of that quality, you can't pass it up.
Chris T
Porky
Porky

Postby Benjie » 01 Mar 2012, 22:43

Hi Chris, any chance you can get some pics on of your new puppets, would love to see them.
Benjie
Beefy
Beefy

Postby Chris T » 02 Mar 2012, 01:21

Hi Benjie, I have uploaded some pics on flickr for you and anyone who is interested to look at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77495593@N07/?saved=1
Chris T
Porky
Porky

Postby paulwheeler » 02 Mar 2012, 11:28

Hi Chris T your puppets look really nice :)
Love being a Punch & Judy man!
paulwheeler
Beefy
Beefy

Postby Chris T » 04 Mar 2012, 01:14

Thanks Paul, still need to source a full size Doctor & Devil, and could do with a smarter Joey, but am getting there!
Chris T
Porky
Porky

Return to Punch Chat