Just for a laugh

Anything relevant

Just for a laugh

Postby Chris » 21 Mar 2012, 19:24

Not Punch related, and not quite as old, but PJF related and he always produces a big grin. This is a brilliant routine even though not his usual fare. See what you think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H_sGQR_6Ps&feature=related
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Re: Just for a laugh

Postby lesclarke » 27 Mar 2012, 21:38

Ken did of course perform with Punch as a teenager. His whole style of comedy shows supreme skills that would be easily transferable to Punch & Judy, fine comedy timing, connecting with and handling an audience, an element of the ridiculous, the use of rhythm, and great vocal charaterisations - he would be a 'hard act to follow'!

I'm sort of glad he stayed with stand-up, and my theory is that he needed to be out there, being seen and basking in the well-deserved affection from his audience, as that is what drives him. That, and the money of course!

I am at present converting a Ken Dodd rod puppet into one of a pair of Laughing Policemen, it was one of several figures originally made (by a very talented puppet-maker Brandon Corns) for a TV program along the lines of 'Ken Dodd & the Taxman' they didn't appear very much in the final edit, but have real character.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/properpunc ... 228786330/

As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 27 Mar 2012, 23:12

Nice caricature head Les, a shame you are going to change it.
I made a Ken Dodd 30 inch marionette - I then altered him to become a pianist - and later converted him to become "Figaro" singing largo al factotum. I wish I'd left him as he was.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby lesclarke » 28 Mar 2012, 00:29

Yes, along with the other head I'm converting (which was a barrister) a very nice head, so much character, I get pleasure from just looking at the lines of these two heads. There were four figures, one didn't have a working mouth, and the other was of a judge, fantastic character head, but not suited to a 'laughing policeman' role.
I hesitated before the conversion, but it will be a figure that works for a living rather than just sat on a shelf.

As I said, they were made by Brandon Corns, a very skilled modeler, works in various materials, especially latex, but these are moulded using car body-filler in plaster moulds from plasticine originals.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 28 Mar 2012, 10:38

Yes, you are right Les, a puppet performing is better than a puppet in a glass case.
Looking at those heads, the style reminds me a little of the Pelham vent puppets range, although a bit more refined.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Return to Punch Chat