American Sensitivities

Anything relevant

American Sensitivities

Postby Chris » 29 Mar 2012, 21:35

I have often wrily remarked to Punch friends in the USA, appropos their PC difficulties over there of including much of the slapstick business we consider traditional and essential, that it puzzles us over here that a country which promotes the rights of its citizens to carry guns should be so sensitive about a wooden puppet hitting another wooden puppet with a stick.
My friend Greg, himself a Punch enthusiast, in Florida recently sent this:

I just read this in the paper today and thought to myself about those in America who think Punch and Judy is too violent....

Phoenix

Death penalty tossed for man who killed 3

The Arizona Supreme Court on Tuesday threw out the death sentence of a Tucson man who bludgeoned his girlfriend and her two children to death in 1984, ruling that the murders weren't especially heinous. The court on Tuesday vacated two death sentences for James Granvil Wallace and imposed two sentences of life in prison instead. The justices wrote that the murders of Susan Insalaco, her 12-year-old son, and 16-year-old daughter on Feb 1, 1984, were heinous in layman's terms but not according to the letter of the law. The justices said Wallace didn't knowingly inflict more wounds on the family than he thought were necessary to kill them.

That's alright then?

That must surely win awards for the most nonsensical and insensitive justification for a judgement.
The justices said Wallace didn't knowingly inflict more wounds on the family than he thought were necessary to kill them.
Quite, Quite incredible. This is a potent argument for the death penalty -
for the Justices!
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Re: American Sensitivities

Postby Richard Coombs » 02 Apr 2012, 13:26

Thanks for posting that Chris.

I see it has had lots of folk read it ..but no replies.

Silence is probably the best response .

"Two Countries divided by the same Language" ..and all that :-)

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: American Sensitivities

Postby Chris » 02 Apr 2012, 20:36

Indeed Richard. Although while there is a temptation to think we are the sane ones and this could only happen in America, I must point out that this was sent to me by a Florida friend who was himself equally incredulous. I did write to tell him I was reproducing the cutting on this Board, hoping that he would not object. His reply was: "I don't mind at all and rather hoped you would. I'm usually immune to the crazy news nowadays, however, that story was truely unbelievable."

But I am not surprised that many read it, but nobody commented. Really, what is there to say? There are times when one's flabber is totally gasted.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Return to Punch Chat