Anything relevant

Health, Safety and Glyn Edwards

Postby Nick Jackson » 09 Apr 2012, 01:31

Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Re: Health, Safety and Glyn Edwards

Postby Bigshot » 10 Apr 2012, 00:58

i have often wrily remarked to Punch friends in the UK, appropos their PC difficulties over there of including much of the slapstick business we consider traditional and essential, that it puzzles us over here that a country which promotes the rights of its citizens to carry bumbershoots should be so sensitive about a wooden puppet hitting another wooden puppet with a stick.
Bigshot
Porky
Porky

Postby Nick Jackson » 10 Apr 2012, 01:17

What is a bumbershoot?
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby James » 10 Apr 2012, 01:49

Bigshot wrote:i have often wrily remarked to Punch friends in the UK, appropos their PC difficulties over there of including much of the slapstick business we consider traditional and essential, that it puzzles us over here that a country which promotes the rights of its citizens to carry bumbershoots should be so sensitive about a wooden puppet hitting another wooden puppet with a stick.

Deja vu!

Chris wrote:I have often wrily remarked to Punch friends in the USA, appropos their PC difficulties over there of including much of the slapstick business we consider traditional and essential, that it puzzles us over here that a country which promotes the rights of its citizens to carry guns should be so sensitive about a wooden puppet hitting another wooden puppet with a stick.
Arnott's Gowns for Clowns, Est 1985
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby scumonkey » 10 Apr 2012, 04:22

Nick Jackson wrote:What is a bumbershoot?

hello (first post)Correct me if i'm wrong- a bumbershoot is a very seldom used (or known), American word for umbrella.
I found this and thought it might give those of you on that side of the pond a sound chuckle :wink:
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/the_ ... rella.html
scumonkey
Chipolata
Chipolata

Postby Richard Coombs » 10 Apr 2012, 09:23

Entirely unrelated to the Post , I admit - but Scumonkey I love your Avatar ...nice to sees Crocodile :-)
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby gaz » 29 Apr 2012, 01:32

Very interesting... so bumbershoot is an American word that Americans think is a British.
It's a great word... It's gonna have to be used, although quite why carrying an umbrella renders ironic, an alleged American distaste for Mr Punch's violence is a baffling statement.
gaz
Beefy
Beefy

Return to Punch Chat