Punch evoking memories

Anything relevant

Punch evoking memories

Postby Trevek » 13 Sep 2012, 12:50

One of the things I love about Punch and Judy is its ability to take people back to happy times in the past (as well as creating new happy times in the present).

One gentleman I know, who is fearsomely very strong minded, of very strong opinion and exceedingly forthright, saw a show of mine once and came up afterwards, almost mellow, and exclaimed, "It took me back to my childhood!" I lent him a copy of de Hempsey, which he thoroughly enjoyed.

Last weekend I was in the Polish city of Wroclaw (formerly Breslau) to perform at a teachers' conference (I'd written an article about using P&J in English teaching). During the conference I met one aged teacher trainer and EFL guru of sorts. I chanced asking him if he was coming to my presentation. "What are you doing it on?" he asked. "I'm doing a Punch and Judy show," I replied. His eyes lit up... "Oooooh, I haven't seen one of those since Weymouth beach in 1956... it was a good one!"

Sadly he wasn't able to attend my show because he had another appointment, but I'd have loved to know what he thought.
Trevek
Big Banger
Big Banger

Return to Punch Chat