my art collection

Anything relevant

Re: my art collection

Postby lesclarke » 01 Nov 2012, 12:33

Nice to see them all in one place CvdC, I notice that 6 out of the 14 have a dog in the audience, and mostly they are paying attention.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby CvdC » 02 Nov 2012, 09:58

I just added a painting by the Irish painter Moynan to the collection.
Still wandering the streets of Glasgow to see if I can place the photograph. It was a bit sad to see how much redevelopment has occurred on the banks of the river. So hopefully it wasn't taken down there. But I am determined to include it.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Trevek » 02 Nov 2012, 15:34

Chris VdC,

yes, Glasgow took a battering from the Luftwaffe in WW2 and then a bigger battering from the developers afterwards. Areas like the Gorbals were almost completely flattened and "improved" with huge high-rises. It is seriously scary to walk around there and realise how much of the old Glasgow vanished in the 1950's and 60's.

There is a famous song about how you can't throw jam sandwiches to your kids from a 20 storey flat.
Trevek
Big Banger
Big Banger

Postby martin@no10 » 17 Nov 2012, 20:04

In respect of the painting by William Barr, I can add a little more info here:

The Glasgow Herald of 27 December 1900 carried a report on an exhibition of pictures at Paisley Art Institute, which included: "…"Punch and Judy," an ambitious work by William Barr, a Paisley artist who follows JE Christie at a distance. He has, however, a fine sense of colour." Assuming that it is the same painting, then we can date it at 1900 at the most modern. Also the registration number shown on the sail of the fishing boat on the right of the painting is clearly “14T KY” – KY is Kirkcaldy. I accept that does not mean that the harbour is Kirkcaldy, but does indicate some factual accuracy in the painting.

Regards, Martin
martin@no10
Porky
Porky

Postby Trevek » 19 Nov 2012, 21:48

Nice stuff, Martin. Well done!

Kirkcaldy... Fife? Around my dad's old neighbourhood.
Trevek
Big Banger
Big Banger

Postby CvdC » 20 Nov 2012, 02:28

Then this could well be considered a portrait of this performer, Henry Jones? Or at least of his bottler.

Last edited by CvdC on 21 Nov 2012, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby martin@no10 » 20 Nov 2012, 18:16

If it is 1900 or earlier, then my guess is that it would be Henry Jones (senior) in the booth, and his oldest son, Henry (junior) on the panpipes and presumably bottling. I think that Henry snr was still performing then, as the earliest reference I could find of Henry snr claiming Poor Relief was in 1908, when it stated he was too infirm to work and that his sons had taken over the P&J. Henry senior died in 1910, stated age being 59.
In terms of evidence of P&J, I find this to be an important painting.
Regards, Martin
martin@no10
Porky
Porky

Previous

Return to Punch Chat