bandsaws in Victorian times?

Postby Chris » 22 Nov 2012, 17:50

It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Re: bandsaws in Victorian times?

Postby Richard Coombs » 22 Nov 2012, 19:04

Hello Chris.

I agree with you , and am not arguing that they are Victorian ...but oddly I was watching "Celebrity Antiques RoadTrip" last night , and one item that a contestant found was indeed a Victorian jigsaw/fretsaw.

It was of cast iron construction with a treddle mechanism like an old singer sewing machine .

The free-arm and thin blade , (or something like it ) in theory could have produced puppets in the way the ones in the photos seem made.

But I do agree , they do not look Victorian.

I really like the photo though , as the puppets are clearly made using a method quite similar to that which I currently use ....so it was fun for me to see them.

Thank You

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 22 Nov 2012, 22:18

Oh they are definitely not Victorian Richard. And I think you belittle your own technique in comparing these to yours.
But as far as fretsaws go, yes indeed: Victorians loved fretwork and certainly had treddle scroll saws as well as hand fretsaws which are from a much earlier date. Actually the Ancient Egyptians used fretwork panels to decorate furniture. I don't think that they made Punch figures though.
ImageImage
This fretsaw from the 1600s, the treddle scroll saw from the 1800s

When I was a kid fretwork was an extremely popular hobby. There was a magazine called Hobbies Weekly which every week contained a pull out pattern for a pipe holder, magazine or letter rack or plaque reading Bless this House or some such other domestic essential. Patterns for Galleons were also very popular I recall, and many a mantlepiece or window ledge was adorned with such a fretwork vessel in full sail. I also seem to remember that boy scouts could get a badge for fretwork.

Of course this was an age when for amusement people used to do things, rather than watch things, and puppeteers made their own puppets rather than buying them.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby lesclarke » 23 Nov 2012, 00:07

I can only agree with those sentiments Chris, and after reading those last two lines, this phrase came to mind " ... before the world turned lax."

Can anyone place them? Imagine them spoken by Bob Hoskins, and think back to a 1979/1981 sitcom taking a nostalgic look back at life in the 1950s.

Not an easy question as it was not a high profile show, and apparently never repeated.

But what WONDERS we have today!

If you Google 'Bob Hoskins before the world turned lax' you won't find the answer, several pages about his retirement due to ill health.

But, Google ' bob hoskins narrator' and the sixth result gives the answer, isn't technology wonderful.

Further searches will reveal more about the series. It is available on DVD, and I have recently thoroughly enjoyed 'going back' to a nostalgic look at the 1950s and a straightforward style of tv production.

Back to the puppet making.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Chat