A childish irony.

Anything relevant

A childish irony.

Postby Chris » 15 Dec 2012, 22:42

Travelling to a birthday party show this morning the car radio was informing me of the Connecticut school shooting with twenty 6 to 10 year olds dead. My party was for a six year old, and as his friends arrived they started charging round the room as little boys do - and started playing bang-you're-dead shooting, as little boys do. Nature or nurture? I don't know. All I could think of was those poor poor parents with Christmas presents hidden away, surprises which they will now never be able to give. How desperately sad.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Re: A childish irony.

Postby scumonkey » 16 Dec 2012, 04:23

Actually the oldest children were only 7- a true tragedy :cry:
CHILDREN
Charlotte Bacon, 2/22/06, female (age 6)
Daniel Barden, 9/25/05, male (age 7)
Olivia Engel, 7/18/06, female (age 6)
Josephine Gay, 12/11/05, female (age 7)
Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 04/04/06, female (age 6)
Dylan Hockley, 03/08/06, male (age 6)
Madeleine F. Hsu, 07/10/06, female (age 6)
Catherine V. Hubbard, 06/08/06, female (age 6)
Chase Kowalski, 10/31/05, male (age 7)
Jesse Lewis, 06/30/06, male (age 6)
James Mattioli, 03/22/06, male (age 6)
Grace McDonnell, 11/04/05, female (age 7)
Emilie Parker, 05/12/06, female (age 6)
Jack Pinto, 05/06/06, male (age 6)
Noah Pozner, 11/20/06, male (age 6)
Caroline Previdi, 09/07/06, female (age 6)
Jessica Rekos, 05/10/06, female (age 6)
Avielle Richman, 10/17/06, female (age 6)
Benjamin Wheeler, 9/12/06, male (age 6)
Allison N. Wyatt, 07/03/06, female (age 6)
scumonkey
Chipolata
Chipolata

Postby Chris » 16 Dec 2012, 16:33

Well the original report which I commented upon said between 6 and 10 - but don't you think it petty and tasteless to list and name them to prove your point? Such a list is quite out of place on this site and in this context. I suggest you might like to consider removing it.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 16 Dec 2012, 19:49

Having fallen foul of missunderstood emails myself lately ,( elsewhere , not here)... I will play Devils Advocate to you Chris and defend that posting ..
..I expect Mr Monkey was listing them out of respect as a form of rememberance , rather than intending to correct you or prove a point -- I see from his profile that he hails from USA. ( and may therefore possibly have a connection or 'degree of separation' to one of the slain)

But you are right Chris it is a sad irony that children will always 'play' with guns and shooting.

But we have to hold onto the hope that it is only 'harmless play' - and that such play does not lead to anything harmful in adulthood ...just as watching Punch and Judy doesnt make them ( or us ) violent people .

Hey Ho sad news all the same..bad at any time of year , but somehow doubly so just before Christmas.

Seasons Greetings to all users of the Board :-)
Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 16 Dec 2012, 22:28

You may be right Richard. However the sole comment he makes on my posting is to say "Actually the oldest child was only 7." If he wasn't backing up his statement then surely details of actual names and ages is only of local interest?
Of course if you are correct in thinking that Mr. Monkey was thinking this an appropriate place to post a memorial then, although I remain puzzled, I withdraw the suggestion that he delete the posting. I must admit it never occurred to me that he might be one of the bereaved.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby scumonkey » 16 Dec 2012, 23:06

Mr coombs is the right one here.
"out of respect as a form of rememberance , rather than intending to correct you or prove a point "
I actually do live very close to the area this occurred at (and have family still there), the fact that the children were even younger than what's being reported from our increasingly faux american news, (in my minds eye) makes this tragedy even worse.
however if you still feel that i am just being tasteless only trying to prove a point, feel free to remove my post.
scumonkey
Chipolata
Chipolata

Return to Punch Chat