A question

Anything relevant

A question

Postby Harvey » 15 Jan 2013, 16:13

As I am still at school and work with Puppets people at school think it is a 'baby thing' and it is 'sad' and its really getting on my nerves.

What shall I do?
The Young Professor http://www.professor-harvo.xbuild.com at the age of 18
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link

Re: A question

Postby Richard Coombs » 15 Jan 2013, 21:23

Hello Harvey

Well first thing ..dont let it get on your nerves.
( I know I know that is easy advice to give , but difficult to put into practice )

Just be satisfied in the fun and enjoyment you get from your puppet making.

Most of the others a school who are making fun of you , probably dont have the spark or imagination to make anything themselves - or probably even the desire to have any hobby outside of X-box and telly.

Dont let them bring you down , you keep enjoying yourself doing what you are doing ...it might not lead to a career in puppets or Punch ( but then again it might :who knows?) ...but it will certainly be setting you a path of being a free thinking and creative person , and that will pay dividends with whatever you choose to do later in your life....and take heart that most of the miseries calling your hobby 'baby-ish' might never discover what they want to do with their own lives.

Dont worry about them , if anything pity them , they have a lot less going for them than you do.

Richard

PS , you said in another thread that two boxer puppets you made got pinched at school while they were drying out. Thats a real shame. But perhaps a good idea to make and keep stuff at home.

Good Luck .
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Harvey » 16 Jan 2013, 10:13

Thank you :D :) vv :lol:
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link

Postby geoff.london » 18 Jan 2013, 19:13

Well I thoroughly agree with Richard. This is a timely post. While I was at school I was the only one interested in puppets so I wrote to the Educational Puppetry Association. I got a very encouraging letter by return from none other than Violet Philpott. (This was in the days before the internet). She died recently but her encouragement to me then and to others was very helpful. It gave me the spur to go my own way. When I was at school people still had hobbies whereas today most children spend their spare time either online or playing computer games. I think you should ignore the others. Good luck! Geoff.
geoff.london
Big Banger
Big Banger

Postby Harvey » 18 Jan 2013, 23:09

Thank you :D :) :lol:
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link

Postby Trevek » 04 Feb 2013, 13:05

A slightly more mercenary answer, Harvey; I was once working as a puppeteer whilst studying. My flat-mate was also studying (he was doing psychology) and he was having to work in a bank to get money. At one point he started blasting off at me that, "It's time you grew up, mate... PUPPETS AREN'T THE REAL WORLD!!!!"

Having just made more money in a weekend than he did in a week, I admitted that living in a fantasy world suited me more at that moment.

I last heard of him being a prison psychologist at a rather tough prison somewhere. Whilst I have every respect for him and his work, I must admit, I rather prefer working with people who are smiling through happiness at my show, than because they are harbouring less charitable ideas about what they'd like to do to me.
Trevek
Big Banger
Big Banger

Postby Harvey » 04 Feb 2013, 21:46

Thank you :D :) :lol:
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link

Return to Punch Chat