Substitutes for the time being

Anything relevant

Substitutes for the time being

Postby Cood123 » 16 Jan 2013, 00:20

Is there anything at all that I could use to represent the other character while I work until I get a second puppet?
"It isn't my plan to make Mr. Punch more American, but to make America more aware of Mr. Punch."
-Something I said to my brother
Cood123
Chipolata
Chipolata

Re: Substitutes for the time being

Postby Richard Coombs » 16 Jan 2013, 01:13

Ooooh tough one Cood 123

It is going to be a two sided answer I am afraid.

If I dont at least voice the first option , then I am sure others will , so I will play my own 'Devils Advocate'

.... If you are truly determined to practice and rehearse then nothing can actually stop you from doing so:
Just using your other bare hand in a matching finger configuration would be enough..or you could wear a wooly glove or mitten if you feel too self conscious with an empty hand.
A large matchbox sleeve pushed over your finger(s) - whatever you put into the 'head' --- plus a simple flat cut-out cardboard face-mask glued to it to make the head at the right height would help .
If you have access to a cheap plastic doll whose head pulls off you could shove a finger into that .
There is no reason why you could not in fact 'improvise' with a whole host of things.

But that is one side of the answer , and if I am truthful , I dont really believe a word of it ...you could do any of that above ...but nothing will come close to how it feels to have a balanced puppet on your second hand that weight for weight and movement wise is match the one you already have.

You will just have to do the first thing until you have acquired or made another.

Good Luck

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: Substitutes for the time being

Postby Cood123 » 16 Jan 2013, 01:19

Thank you Richard. I just needed some kind of weight on my left hand so that I can get better movement on it. I'll have another puppet soon (I hope) but until then I'll have to make do.
"It isn't my plan to make Mr. Punch more American, but to make America more aware of Mr. Punch."
-Something I said to my brother
Cood123
Chipolata
Chipolata

Return to Punch Chat