Routine Help

Anything relevant

Routine Help

Postby Harvey » 24 Jan 2013, 20:56

I am getting a blowey the clown for my show (blowey the clown is a trick puppet that blows up a balloon.) I am Just asking about a routine I could add him in any ideas.
The Young Professor http://www.professor-harvo.xbuild.com at the age of 18
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link

Re: Routine Help

Postby Harvey » 25 Jan 2013, 13:12

He arrived today
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link

Postby Richard Coombs » 25 Jan 2013, 14:52

That must feel good Harvey !
Wether you Make 'em, or Buy 'em...its always nice to have a new puppet.

I dont think you really need 'a routine' with a Blowey Clown ...he IS a routine all in himself.
-one of those bits of biz that makes a good part of the start of the show , before Punch comes on , while your show is drawing in its crowd.

If your sound system has the ability to play out music , as well as run your microphone- then search around for a nice ( short) bit of instrumental music your clown can blow up his balloon to .
Something with lots of repetitive phrases , so that he can start blowing it up ...but it keeps going down.

Something like 'The Muscle Man' music from Opportunity Knocks would do it
( dont know what it is really called - someone on here might) ...your Parents probably will if they are old enough. Actually Harvey I cant remember how old you are ?
It might be good to remind the board of that, so that people know your age when figuring their replies to you ( I think some folk here asume you are middle aged you see).

Anyhow , Do the unsuccessful balloon blow a coupla times until you reach 'full balloon' and the "Ta-Da" moment : and you got a routine right there.

It won't fill a lot of time ..but its not meant to , its a nice bit of flourish and colour to spice up your show.
Dont do too much ( ie too long) with him ...just practice until what you do looks good.

You will have Fun :-)

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby johnstoate » 25 Jan 2013, 14:59

Sounds good to me, but by way of another suggestion - perhaps you could have a pin somewhere on your proscenium to burst the balloon at the 'right' moment :D - Another trick that can work well with a balloon is to put a little talcum powder inside - this looks like smoke when the thing bursts! - but can get messy! :wink:
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Harvey » 25 Jan 2013, 22:09

I am 14
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link

Postby Harvey » 25 Jan 2013, 22:11

There is a small proble with the pin at the side of the procineum (I have no idea how to spell it) The kids usualy grab and tug the Puppets and the could heart them selves and so could I.
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link

Postby Chris » 25 Jan 2013, 22:40

Well pull it out with a pair of pliers, then it won't hurt you or anyone else. What's it doing there anyway?

By the way, if you don't know how to spell proscenium or any other word just type your best effort in Google Search and it will help. But as you have a lot of problems with spelling why not write first in WORD or some other Word Processor which has a spell checker. You will find your mistakes are underlined in red. If you right click on the word it will show the correct spelling.
When you have corrected your paragraph you can COPY the whole thing, and then PASTE it into an email, or onto a message board.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby CvdC » 26 Jan 2013, 00:50

I think it may be appropriate here to mention the rule of three.
It is often recommended when trying to devise a routine to do so using this principle.
You do something once.
Like trying to blow up the balloon.Remember this will need exaggerating so that it is seen by the audience. So big heaving puffs. But then have the balloon go down.
You do it again. This sets up a pattern of expectation. The balloon can go a little higher but you have the same thing happen.
The clown then tries again. Now you may need to repeat this, but the idea is that you are teaching the audience to expect something to repeat itself.
Then you do something totally unexpected. The balloon could get as big as it can and suddenly deflate with the puppet propelled about the stage. Or burst. Or Punch could pop up and burst it. Maybe bursting will be a bit obvious. Real humour comes with the totally unexpected.

I think that is how it works. It would need rehearsal to get the timing right.

I suppose each routine also needs a beginning, middle and end.
So maybe you could start the routine with a balloon already blown up and the Clown then wants to blow up his own?

There is sometimes a second gag that comes in to follow and tops the previous one. This usually involves Punch.(Although Richard uses Joey the clown for this) It is called a coda. I'll leave to look that up for homework. :)
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 26 Jan 2013, 12:15

I rather think the best routines come from experience, not theory. This is especially true with puppets. The limitations of each individual puppet dictate what is possible and what is not. In this case where the Clown has a balloon permanently stuck in his mouth it presents various difficulties. Since the puppet can't talk and blow it suggests the use of a second puppet to commentate. This of course means you need another hand free, but maybe that hand is needed to get the balloon tube in your mouth, maybe not. But then you'll discover that even with a free hand it is very hard to talk with a tube stuck in your mouth. Release the tube and you lose the air from the balloon. Maybe you have a luxury puppet with a one way valve fitted? If not you'll have to use your free hand to block the end of the tube when you want to speak. Such things are found out by actual trial with the puppet.
The basic routine is "Do you want to see Blowey blow a balloon?"" Yes.
Bigger? Yes!
Biggger? Yes
Bigger? Yes
Bang!
Actually when Edwin brought out this you could also buy a duplicate Blowey without the tube.
So Blowey could do other things, then ask kids if they wanted to see him blow a balloon. When he went off to
get the balloon you switched puppets.
As it is you have a puppet, very limited by his construction, that can really only do one thing - a rather short sight gag. Probably the best way to use him would be for Joey, or other clown, to introduce him as a friend - a champion ballon-blower-upper. His skill is that however big he blows his balloon it never bursts.
And there you have set up for the classic ingredients: 1. Anticipation of imminent disaster 2. Kids being proved right.
But other than the basics - the real routine will only come with the puppet on your hands.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby CvdC » 26 Jan 2013, 13:43

that routine certainly follows the theory Chris.
It has an introduction:" Do you want to see Blowy blow up the balloon?"
1Bigger? Yes!
2Biggger? Yes
3.Bigger? Yes
Balloon bursts.
But there must be something you could do at the end to make that routine funny?
It brings to mind that magic theory about the pledge, the turn and then comes the prestige. Or is that a myth?
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 26 Jan 2013, 14:41

I had never heard that term "prestige" before this week ...and now that is twice .

I was with a bunch of film and Tv puppeteers a few days ago and one , a pal of mine , Iestyn Evans is also a keen student of magic. We were discussing a few things puppet related,and he hadnt known I did a telly show with Wayne Dobson back in the early 1990s, so we got onto magic chat .

I also had my Queen of Hearts with me and was killing time doing the hand sewing parts that can be done away from home coz they dont need a sewing machine.

So we also chatted about the planned routine with her , then The Snow Queen ....then a third Queen ( which I have not shown on the board here - and will keep secret until after the mayfayre )

Iestyn said that the third Queen was the "prestige' on the building gag.
He then had to explain to me it in its magical context...and in the case of my routine the 'pledge' was NOT to have any queens in the show this Summer ..the pledge is broken by the first two ( the turn ) the pledge is the re underlined ..ie; no more ! enough ! then the "prestige' the unexpected 'third ' one.
( except of course it wont be unexpected to board readers who now know to expect a third at the Mayfayre ...which is why I am keeping some of the 'flourish' up my sleeve by not showing any of her being built ..or even naming her)

....Sorry a bit off topic - but just weird to hear a phrase new to me , from Magic , applied to a Punch 'Routine' ...not once but twice in a few days .

Thats almost a "prestige" in itself.LOL

Anyhow Harvey has plenty to think on with for his "Blowey' .
All good advice ... from guys that know their stuff.

I think Chris S has hit it on the head though Harvey...theorise and plan all you like...but you wont know what is best until you try it out inside the booth with the puppet(s) on your hand.

That is the best way to rehearse any new routine ..whether its a 'Trick' puppet or a regular one.

All the Best with it.( post a pic of Blowey if you are able )Thanks

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 26 Jan 2013, 15:13

I must admit that I've never heard that use of the word "prestige" before Richard - in Magic or otherwise. I have always thought it mean't honour, or amount of good reputation?
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 26 Jan 2013, 18:09

That is odd Chris ( esp as you are an actual real magician ).

Perhaps it is one of those new 'buzz-word' phrases only recently come to prominence with the birth of things like internet chat-rooms where folk of a similar profession/hobby like to talk about what they do among themselves.
( we do like to contemplate our own navels dont we lol)

Who outside of what we do , would connect the words 'tilt' and 'frame' together for example ? - ( err yes Ok a cameraman ...but it would mean something quite different)

But like I said , with you being a magician it is strange- I do hope its a real usage , as I like the sound of it.
Also spooky that two blokes at opposite ends of the world should use the phrase in connected ways within a matter of 2 days.

Ah well 'We Live and Learn" as they say :-)

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 26 Jan 2013, 18:46

I think I haven't heard of it because apparently it is a fiction invented for a film called The Prestige.

There is a lie at the heart of Christopher Nolan’s The Prestige. The movie is an elaborate trick, and Nolan knows it; he rubs our noses in it, not once, but twice. The trick is that the film has a glaring logical flaw, but we don’t notice it. We don’t notice, because we don’t want to notice it. But if we choose to see it, it opens up the real meaning of the movie. Nolan is showing us that this is how all movies work.
The Prestige opens with the following lines;

Every great magic trick consists of three parts or acts. The first part is called “The Pledge”. The magician shows you something ordinary: a deck of cards, a bird or a man. He shows you this object. Perhaps he asks you to inspect it to see if it is indeed real, unaltered, normal. But of course… it probably isn’t. The second act is called “The Turn”. The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you’re looking for the secret… but you won’t find it, because of course you’re not really looking. You don’t really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn’t clap yet. Because making something disappear isn’t enough; you have to bring it back. That’s why every magic trick has a third act, the hardest part, the part we call “The Prestige”.”

Cutter, an inventor of tricks (or ingénieur) and the movie’s narrator, describes a three-act structure possessed by magic tricks – Pledge, Turn and Prestige – which although fictional, is clearly based upon the classical three-act dramatic structure upon which all mainstream movies are constructed
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 26 Jan 2013, 20:12

Oooh well done Chris that was fast work !

Ah right , well its good to know.

Still its nicely convincing gibberish ...perhaps it should be adopted into parlance in regard to puppet routines :-)

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Next

Return to Punch Chat