"Hold the ( camera) Phone ..."

Anything relevant

"Hold the ( camera) Phone ..."

Postby Richard Coombs » 13 Mar 2013, 22:16

Hello Fellow Board -Viewers

I am announcing this across all three strands of this Message board to make a resolution as publicly as possible:

From now on , I shall not be Posting any more in-depth "Making Of" sets of pictures on this Board.

I love taking pictures and documenting the making process ..it is a good reminder later ( sometimes years later ) of how things were done ..an 'aide memoire' for the next time ...and also a bit of a compulsion.

But there really is no reason to inflict it in such depth to everyone here .
When I stepped back and realised I had photodocumented my whole Sundays sewing efforts hour by hour ...I thought 'Enough is Enough'

True , it was a somewhat tongue in cheek set of postings ..I knew it was going to be a full day , and a very repetitive task - 17 fiddly aplice panels and about 25 bobbins worth of sewing !
I'd wanted to see how far I could push myself in a day.

But then looking at it all in the cold harsh Monday daylight ..I realised there was a much better place to put all those pics ....( please insert your own saucy Punchline here ...ooh Matron !)

So I took a leaf out of Les Clarkes book , and got a Flickr account that same day.

I am surprised how easy and fast it is to publish stuff on there direct from my iPhoto album ( much faster even than loading pictures on here).
What Id thought would be an awkward task is proving very easy.

SO ...from now on I will post only an occasional photo --and only once a Prop / Proscenium / Booth or Puppet is actually Completely Finished.
With each will be a link to my Flickr page for anyone wishing to look at the ( doubtless ) dozens of 'work in progress' shots of that finished item.

That way , only those of you with such an interest in the minute mechanics of things need have a look.

And I know there are some folk out there , who , like me , absolutely love all that stuff.

But the rest of you can now relax , knowing that in Future you are to be spared it all.

My profound hope is that if I stop clogging up the internet airwaves with my photos and chatter ...some others out there might just step up to the mark and put some of their builds on here to fill the yawning void.

Chris has already said that he worries that CvdCs postings and mine are frightening off the 'just starting out' brigade from showing what they can do .
I certainly dont want to deter Cvdc ( I have So enjoyed watching him build a booth on the other side of the World in blistering heat while we all shiver here)

But for myself , I am stepping aside and turning the spotlight elsewhere ...please if you are in the wings nervously waiting to come -on ...then do step out now .

I relish the chance to see what newcommers are up to ...and also what Geoff Felix , Les Clarke and Mark Poulton and Miraiker et all are doing ( all those have been a bit quiet on here of late )

So for now , heres the link , and Best Wishes to All !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rkcpuppets/

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: "Hold the ( camera) Phone ..."

Postby CvdC » 14 Mar 2013, 19:45

Richard I have just been reading an article on the fashion for people photographing their meals
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/mar/11/food-photography-is-it-ok?

So I figure it must be alright to photograph your puppet making. There is absolutely no harm in it, despite what others may say. In fact the contrary is true.

I documented the making of a puppet booth, not to teach nor to intimidate beginners but simply to demonstrate what is involved. These things aren't made in factories in China and don't appear in supermarkets, they are made, hand made if you will.Puppet making is a crucial part of puppetry and it needs to be considered in all its aspects.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 15 Mar 2013, 13:35

That was an interesting article CvdC ..yep I dont feel quite so alone in my compulsion to whip out the camera now.

I will still post pics here , but only of Completed characters .
The Flickr will just be there as a back-up for anyone who wishes to find out how any new figures have been put together.

It seems like a sensible way forward.

Even though it has only been up and running a few days , I am astounded by the number of views it has had.
There is stuff on there that I have never put on this board ( with more added every few days I suspect )

And I have received a few nice emails from folk who have said they enjoyed looking through it all .

When time allows I will split it into two galleries - Punch stuff and then another for more 'muppety' type puppets , which I have made my fair share of in the past ...and just at the moment I am building a good many more.

Even with working on several different projects at once ...it should not be too much longer before I have a finished Joey ( or two :-) )

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 16 Mar 2013, 12:58

As Bette Davis says in Agatha Christies "Evil Under the Sun"

"Rules are made to be broken , at least mine are - by me "

So here is a pic that is not of anything 'Completed or Finished'
But I could not resist taking the shot , and it looked so bonkers I thought I would share it
...some things just have to be done :-)

Richard

Or exposed this way :
...a new stained-glass window for St Pauls Church Covent Garden perhaps ? :-)

If CvdC is feeling up for some mischief , I am sure he could set that into some nice gothic stonework c/o photoshop ( with a new Punchman Pope ..Bryan Clarke Perhaps ?)
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby CvdC » 17 Mar 2013, 22:17

Bryan Clarke as Pope?
Richard just think how much better the sermons would be. I think a Punch show from that balcony would be fun.
I was a away this weekend performing at a festival in the Blue Mountains just west of Sydney. I did an adult show, which means I had the opportunity to do Jack Ketch and the hanging scene - what joy!

Before the show. The empty chairs soon filled up. There were only a few children in the audience but the adults were right into it with their "Behind you" etc. One lady came up to me and said "This had better be authentic. I used to love Punch on Margate Beach when I was a child." I had to show her a puppet so she could be sure. She said "I see a lot of puppets over here that don't look right and just get disappointed."
I set up two little lights on the playboard to get some light from below to give the puppets a bit of an edge.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 17 Mar 2013, 22:38

Nice CvdC I bet that was fun :-)

Nice to do a nightime show .

Ive only recently seen pics of Mark doing his illuminated beach show at night ..all good stuff.

Having said that I am so looking forward to Summer warmth and long hours of daylight .

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Professor Eek » 19 Mar 2013, 15:41

I did a night shoot just before Christmas and had a single spot on the face - but tat's enough of my dermatological issues.

It meant that I could not see the audience so had to have puppets react to where sounds were coming from rather than direct line of sight - what fun.

http://www.livingadventcalendar.co.uk/c ... 23-82.html
==============================
incredibly bad magic and dreadful balloon modelling thrown in for free
Professor Eek
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Postby Chris » 19 Mar 2013, 18:26

Thanks Martin. Enjoyed that.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Trevek » 19 Mar 2013, 21:24

Very nice, Eek!
Trevek
Big Banger
Big Banger

Postby Richard Coombs » 20 Mar 2013, 00:27

Yep smashing stuff Mr Eek ..you worked the audience to perfection.
Nice Stuff.

Richard :-)
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 20 Mar 2013, 01:52

Yes, it was nice to see Eek following Bryan's spot-on advice from 'Conversations with Punch' of 'enjoy oneself'! Bryan did of course express it in a slightly more adult phrase.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Nick Jackson » 23 Apr 2013, 12:59

Professor Eek wrote:I did a night shoot just before Christmas and had a single spot on the face - but tat's enough of my dermatological issues.http://www.livingadventcalendar.co.uk/c ... 23-82.html

How often have I said on here that Punch without the swazzle isn't Punch? I hereby retract that completely. Eek, I absolutely loved that. Superb. Well done!
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Return to Punch Chat