Coming to London, and pictures of my first puppet

Anything relevant

Coming to London, and pictures of my first puppet

Postby Cood123 » 09 Apr 2013, 21:41

Hey guys it's been a while.

My plane leaves on the 17, and I'll be landing in London on the 18th at around seven in the morning. Very excited, and nervous at the same time. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you, and finding out more about performing Punch and Judy, and the history.
Would any of you be willing to tutor me? I can't offer money as payment, but I don't mind yard/house work, and I'd be more than happy to help you out if you are willing to take me under your wing.

Also, this is my first puppet, Joey.

He has no hands (no jigsaw) and his arms are too low. My choice of fabric isn't heavy enough either, and his head flops around a lot when I use him. Other than that I'm pretty happy with how he came out.
"It isn't my plan to make Mr. Punch more American, but to make America more aware of Mr. Punch."
-Something I said to my brother
Cood123
Chipolata
Chipolata

Re: Coming to London, and pictures of my first puppet

Postby Richard Coombs » 23 Apr 2013, 13:21

Hope you are having a good trip Cood

I see there have been no replies on here ...perhaps some of the punchfolk have messaged you privately to arrange any trips or visits ?

It seems an odd time to have made a trip over ( I dont know how much time you have planned to stay ?)

Does your trip extend all the way to May 12th ..the mayfayre ?

It would have been bonkers to have travelled over so tantalisingly close to that event , but go back before it.
That Sunday in Covent Garden really is your best chance to see a load of Punchshows all in one place.

Sadly I cannot make it to the Mayfayre this year ...I thought I would , but other work just starting this week will keep me away , as annoyingly it will also keep me busy on Sundays.

Also I am going to be mostly away from Home for a while , so there is no point me inviting you to my workshop ( its in the Midlands anyhow ) ... a shame really as I have no end of "Yardwork" needs doing LOL....But I hope some folk on here will find time to show you some Punch Stuff while you are here ...or can suggest places for you to go and see shows , or Punch Puppets on exhibition.

I am a bit out out touch with what London has to offer , but does the Bethnal Green Museum of Childhood still have Old Puppets and booths on display ? - The V&A Museum ? - Pollocks in Goodge street ?

Some folk will know I am sure.

Have a good Visit

regards

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Chat