The antipodean Punch

Anything relevant

The antipodean Punch

Postby CvdC » 07 May 2013, 04:06

I managed to video parts of my show while performing last weekend. Naturally enough something went wrong and the phone I used as a camera cut out so it is only part the one of the show. Also this show was done without the use of the microphone despite the noticeable presence of the p.a.. I had three microphones and could not get any to work. I now have a love hate relationship with the bloody things.

http://youtu.be/KUJ7zq9Ryfc

It's not the best show in the world but at least, along with making puppets and booths, I am doing my bit to keep the tradition alive in the lower regions of the planet, this far outpost of the British Empire. :roll:

I will be watching this to see how to improve. I think I know enough about what makes for a good show so I ought to be my own worst critic - although, hopefully, a constructive one.

second part:
http://youtu.be/J2FWjtvxMAY
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: The antipodean Punch

Postby Chris » 08 May 2013, 20:00

I don't think your second video is showing Chris. I get a screen saying "Sorry, this video is private"
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Re: The antipodean Punch

Postby CvdC » 08 May 2013, 23:58

Sorry it was private. This is the default setting I had forgotten to change.

I have been looking at these two videos carefully as it has been the first chance I have had to video an actual show. I asked someone for advice on how to improve a show, so in the spirit of do as I say and not what I do here is his list:
· Ensure the puppets are not static, but stylised and respond to each other.
· Make sure each scene has an interesting piece of well rehearsed puppet action/slapstick or visual gag
· Make sure verbal gags work, do not throw away jokes but strengthen them with clear delivery
· Make entrances and exits interesting or clear.
· Develop the character’s voices as much as possible
· Having a relaxed but smooth running show.
· Remembering its a comedy

I thought that was a reasonable list to keep in mind. Putting together a show, learning a script, making puppets and a booth, getting a chance to perform publicly is but a first step. Then one must keep improving.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Chat