May Fayre Covent Garden 2013 Pictures, Film & Reports

Anything relevant

May Fayre Covent Garden 2013 Pictures, Film & Reports

Postby Dan » 14 May 2013, 20:15

Here's a link to several photos taken at this years May Fayre.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16025290@N ... 480266283/

Enjoy!
Last edited by Dan on 18 May 2013, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
Beefy
Beefy

Re: May Fayre Covent Garden 2013 Photographs

Postby Chris » 14 May 2013, 20:29

What a wonderful coverage. Thanks Dan.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Chris » 15 May 2013, 00:12

May Fayre was slightly down in performer numbers this year doubtless due to the forecast of a cold and wet weekend. It was still a very healthy turnout and it constantly surprises me at the continuing enthusiasm of those who perform year after year. The weather did not seem to overly affect visitor numbers and in actual fact the weather was pretty kind to us and it didn't start to rain, and then only lightly, until turned 4pm, when people were starting to pack up anyway. Actually it was a very pleasant day and the quality of the shows was tip top, including a very creditable performance from Harvey Woods whose name we occasionaly see on this message board. He swazzled very clearly and handled the puppets very well.

The three booths in prime position were those of James Arnott, David Wilde and Geoff Felix and each gave belting performances to very large audiences. I know this because I watched all three shows all the way through rather than my usual habit of watching a snippet here, and a snippet there, and never fully appreciating any fully. I deliberately didn't use my camera and saw fewer shows but much more of them. I'm therefore glad that Dan has been so generous with his coverage.

I also enjoyed watching Pete Maggs, Baggsy and Philip Dan's shows - and all these were on one lawn. There were an equal number of shows on the other lawn which I didn't get round to seeing. Perhaps someone who did will give us a report?
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Harvey » 15 May 2013, 09:00

yes the whether was kind till the end there is a little news broadcast thing on youtube I'll try and find it again later I also have a few photos but I'll ad those later aswell.

My favorite piece of advice was learn to spell.
vv vv vv vv vv
The Young Professor http://www.professor-harvo.xbuild.com at the age of 18
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link

Postby James » 15 May 2013, 09:45

Great photos Dan, some wonderful shots.

I really enjoyed Sunday, as Chris said, whilst the number of shows was down, and the number of visiting puppeteers even smaller, the audiences were huge, and very responsive. And they even coughed up and put folding in the collecting box, which is always appreciated. The smaller number of booths meant that jostling for space wasn’t a problem this year, and everyone got their turn to perform, some twice. Those that feel they aren’t given enough attention at the May Fayre wouldn’t have had that problem this year.

The shows on the right side were: James Arnott, David Wilde, Geoff Felix, Professor Mystral, Harvey Wood, Pete Maggs and Tommy, Brian Baggs, Phillip Dann and Alix Booth.

On the left were: Keith Barnes Puppet Making Workshops, Clive Chandler, Jon Thursby and Joseph Peek.
Round the side of the church was Paul Tuck, and Big Fish Arts with a human Punch show.

Maggie Pinhorn and her team do a great job organising this event, long may it flourish. I do wish that some performer would be a little more courteous and stick to the rules. We’re very lucky to have the event in such a wonderful location. The shows are supposed to start at 12.30 and not disrupt the church services, it would help ease the relationship between the officials and the performers if everyone stuck to this.

After the event Chris Somerville, Geoff Felix, Bryan Clarke, Daniel Hanton, David Wilde, Aris Giannakadis and I had a lovely meal on the Strand to celebrate. It was a great end to a day which is as much about meeting up with old friends as it is seeing shows. I had a great time, and those that missed it, missed out.
Arnott's Gowns for Clowns, Est 1985
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Dan » 18 May 2013, 21:57

Here's a little film on youtube of The May Fayre 2013. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/2Keb7kXRdEk
Dan
Beefy
Beefy

Re: May Fayre Covent Garden 2013 Photographs & Film

Postby Chris » 18 May 2013, 22:27

Very nice Dan, full of atmosphere and beautifully edited.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

May Fayre Covent Garden 2013 REPORT BY GEOFF FELIX

Postby Chris » 20 May 2013, 13:51

This is an official report prepared by Geoff Felix forAlternative Arts who organise this much loved event.

St. Paul's Church is undergoing restoration this year so entrance was restricted to the the Bedford street and King street gates. The weather too was changeable with a forecast for rain at 3-00 p.m. It did come but the crowds and spirits remain unaffected.
The procession was led by the Superior brass band and this was followed by the special church service with the Rev. Bill Haslett giving the address from the pulpit. Chris Gasper and Joseph Peek read the lessons.
In recent years people have been allowed onto the north green and this has eased the considerable pressure that had been placed on the south in previous years. All the shows had enough space and they were able to do more than one performance if desired. Extra steps onto the south green have been installed and this too has helped avoid any crush.
Performing on the south green were James Arnott, David Wilde, Geoff Felix, Professor Mystral (Frank Turvey), Harvey Wood (aged 14 making his debut), Pete Maggs, Tommy Bradshaw (aged 10 using Pete's booth), Brian Baggs, Phillip Dan, and Alix Booth.
The north green performers were Joseph Peek (aged 10), Jon Thursby, Chris Gasper, Clive Chandler and Professor Gastaldon with the world's smallest show (based on a puppet box idea from Brazil). Keith Barnes also ran his puppet making workshops.
Paul Tuck performed along with Leslie King who did marionettes and the theatre group 'Big Fish Arts' performed a human Punch show at the side of the church. Paul nearly always manages to bring something new to the Mayfayre and this year his show had a talking book with moving eyes and mouth.
There were stalls run by the British Puppet and Model Theatre Guild (Peter Charlton), Everett's Toy Theatres, Judith Stinton (selling her books on Weymouth Punch and Frank Edmonds), The Punch and Judy Fellowship (Wilma Tucker), second-hand puppets (David Wilde and James Arnott) and many others connected to the church and local groups.
This has been the year of 'The Big Grin', a nationwide celebration of Punch's 350 th. birthday and Glyn Edwards, together with Mary and daughter Katey, was selling 'The Big Grin book', which details all the events that have taken place together with contributions from others, including Maggie Pinhorn, and a three disc DVD.
Clowns Gingernutt, Professor Crump and Salvo were in attendance together with Randolph the Remarkable who gave his unique performance on the steps of the church. I'm not sure of the details, but I believe it involved a sink bowel and a degree of suction. Donna Maria's Maypole spectacular was again unleashed for the benefit of the public.
Seen in the audience were Bryan Clarke (Punch worker and figure maker), the Battey family (Punch workers and makers), Chris Somerville (Puppeteer and Punch worker who runs the punchandjudy.com website), Daniel Hanton (whose photos of the event are on Flickr), Gary Trimby (chairman of the Punch and Judy Fellowship), Paul Jackson (Punch worker), Carl Durbin (Drag Queen and ventriloquist), Konrad Fredericks (Punch worker), Jonathen Young (young punch enthusiast), Eef Struab (puppet collector from Holland), David Ross (puppeteer), Michael Day from British Actors Equity, Teddy Corden (Punch worker and maker), Cesare Maschi (puppeteer), Joe Gladwin (puppeteer and toy theatre performer), Tim Thomas (actor), Wolfgang Manthey (puppeteer), Richard Robinson (puppeteer who also does the posters for this event) and Len Belmont (ventriloquist).
The Punch and puppetry community remain indebted to Maggie Pinhorn and her team at Alternative Arts for organizing this unique and very special day and for the vicar of St. Paul's church for his kind permission to use the grounds and church.

G. Felix. 2013
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Re: May Fayre Covent Garden 2013 Pictures, Film & Reports

Postby Harvey » 04 Aug 2013, 11:23

My dad filmed my show and i saw how big the audience was it looked like the biggest audience i have ever had
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link

Postby geoff.london » 11 Aug 2013, 12:38

And very well performed Harvey.
geoff.london
Big Banger
Big Banger

Postby Chris » 11 Aug 2013, 17:54

So you managed to see it Geoff. When I click the link I get page not found.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby geoff.london » 12 Aug 2013, 21:40

It was the actual show, not the link that I watched, but I seem to remember seeing it on YouTube as well but not by following the link from this site. So that might need checking. Geoff.
geoff.london
Big Banger
Big Banger

Postby Chris » 12 Aug 2013, 22:25

Harvey's show has been shown on this message board immediately after the May Fayre, but that was Dan's film which I posted. This current one Harvey mentions is one filmed by his Dad but, on re-reading, perhaps Harvey is actually just talking about it and not intending to give us a link. The link below the paragraph is actually part of his signature, and is a link to his website. But the fact remains that it is a incorrect link.

If you want to see a video of Harvey in action here he is, filmed by Daniel Hanton
http://youtu.be/8o_oZ6EgonU
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Harvey » 05 Sep 2013, 18:03

Yeah it was fun that day will hopefully be there next year.
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link

Return to Punch Chat