Robert Peston and Glyn Edwards

Anything relevant

Robert Peston and Glyn Edwards

Postby Nick Jackson » 25 Jun 2013, 22:03

This was on Radio 4 today. Pleased to see there's also a (slightly different) video version!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23033994
And if that really was Robert Peston's first go, it was pretty good!
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Re: Robert Peston and Glyn Edwards

Postby Chris » 26 Jun 2013, 22:24

Some people will do anything for publicity! I thought this was supposed to be one of our cherished secrets?
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby James » 27 Jun 2013, 12:18

Yes, it does rather ruin the magic ever so slightly.
Arnott's Gowns for Clowns, Est 1985
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Nick Jackson » 30 Jun 2013, 00:54

Chris wrote:I thought this was supposed to be one of our cherished secrets?
But it's never really been very well kept!
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby Chris » 30 Jun 2013, 09:45

It's the first time I've seen it demonstrated and explained on national television.
Personally I have no problems with revealing all to anyone genuinely interested. I do question the need for mass revelation for no good reason. After all Robert Peston doesn't need another funny voice, and didn't Glyn Edwards once admonish: "Remember too: what a magician keeps up his sleeve or what a Scotsman wears under his kilt are secrets not shared lightly. How Mr Punch speaks is just such a secret. Play your part in keeping it."
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Nick Jackson » 30 Jun 2013, 09:52

Yes, I think you're right, Chris. However, I expect that a TV piece will have been enjoyed by many and remembered by few.
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby Chris » 30 Jun 2013, 18:31

I'm sure that you are right Nick, and in truth I'm not overly troubled by swazzle exposure anyway, it is others who tend to hold it sacred. Had the boot been on the other foot Glyn might have been one of those.
However to be fair, although it does reveal some hypocrisy, that quote is taken from Glyn's book "Successful Punch and Judy* " which is quite the best primer for anyone wanting to perform Punch. So perhaps we should allow him a bit of "Do what I say, not what I do."

*Probably still available from Ray DaSilva.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby potson » 03 Jul 2013, 10:44

I'll have to say that I am really impressed (and a bit sickened) by the results of his apparent first attempt at swazzling, he manages to create a really great sound. I wonder if he was just very lucky that the swazzle that he used happened to fit his mouth and palate perfectly?
He manages to produce a far better sound in a few minutes than I have ever managed to achieve in literally hours of coughing, wheezing and spluttering!
It has inspired me to have a go at making swazzles again, in the hope of finding the perfect one that will suit me and give me a good result.
potson
Chipolata
Chipolata

Postby Chris » 03 Jul 2013, 14:27

Believe me, it isn't the swazzle. Everyone starting blames their lack of success on the swazzle, on its size, on the tape used, and on the shape of their mouth. These are excuses. The only secret is practice. Iiitially it does involve a knack, and some people find it quicker than others - like someone learning to ride a bike finds their balance quicker than others.
Have you read my pamphlet on learning to use the swazzle?
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby potson » 03 Jul 2013, 21:35

Yes I have Chris, I bought the download from you last year, It's v useful and I'm glad that I did. I know that it essentially comes down to practice, practice, practice.......but in all the practice I put in I never even came close to what this guy achieves so quickly. He obviously has the knack!
potson
Chipolata
Chipolata

Postby Chris » 04 Jul 2013, 21:24

I'm not being nasty, but I think you give yourself away when you say: that you are inspired to try again because this chap produced a better result "than I have ever managed to achieve in literally hours" of practice. Hours? And you gave up?
You don't learn to swazzle properly, or anything else worthwhile, in hours. Swazzling takes weeks, months, even years. And like all performing skills, the only pracrice that really counts is that in performance. Which is why a simple introductory script is so important - so that once you can manage a minimal vocabulary through the swazzle you can start performing, and the more you perform the more you will improve.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby potson » 04 Jul 2013, 23:26

Chris
You say that I give myself away? Give myself away as what exactly? What do you mean by that?
I was merely commenting that I felt that the man in the clip achieved a brilliant result in a very short time.
When I say that I have spent hours experimenting with swazzles I mean just that, I do a lot of long distance driving, up and down the country, backwards and forwards, after buying your download I eventually made close to a dozen different swazzles of various sizes following the instructions. During my long drives I have tried to use them, perfect opportunity, all on my own in the van.....only on the odd occasion have I managed a single squeak. I'm talking about many, many hours over a period of time and many, many attempts. I didn't give up easily, and I still try now. As far as I was led to believe the reasons for my failure so far with the swazzle could be down to a great many different things, Richard Coombs as I remember wrote quite an article on his own struggle with finding the right swazzle to suit him.
In my original comment on this thread I was merely saying that it was encouraging to see, that I, as an aspiring swazzler felt encouraged by it. Isn't that a good thing?
potson
Chipolata
Chipolata

Postby Chris » 05 Jul 2013, 09:36

By giving yourself away I mean't that your words suggested that you had given up too easily. However if you literally have spent hours blowing through the swazzle (and I don't mean wasted hours making different swazzles), if you have literally spent hours and literally only achieved a single squeak then obviously something is very wrong. A child of four could get a single squeak in ten seconds just by putting the swazzle between their lips and blowing. There is no skill or talent involved in that, it is just like blowing through a whistle. If your swazzles won't do that then they are incorrectly made. If they do make a noise by blowing through them, then you should be able to get more than a squeak within a few minutes.
Since you are having such unusual difficulty why not get Miraiker to make you a couple of swazzles, then at least you will know you have correctly made swazzles?
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 05 Jul 2013, 19:16

Tired . cream =crackered and bearly able to string a sentence together having just got home from a very gruelling final weeks shooting on a movie ...but just wanted to say I concur with every word of Chris' last posting ...

You should ask Miraiker if you can purchase a couple from her Potson ...and if that doesn't work then there is nothing for it but to give up Punch entirely and become an Accountant or suchlike :-))

But yep , if they dont 'Toot' when blown in between your lips , then you have got, or made a DUDD swazzle .

And I know its stating the bleedin' obvious...but the thing has to be WET when you try even doing that .

Good Luck ...Dont give up :-)

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 07 Jul 2013, 09:02

Potson if you have Skype , or better yet are a Mac user and have Facetime , then send me a private message with your details and I can hopefully help get you started.

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Next

Return to Punch Chat