Robert Peston and Glyn Edwards

Anything relevant

Re: Robert Peston and Glyn Edwards

Postby potson » 11 Jul 2013, 09:19

Sorry for the delay replying, busy week.
I will take your advice, Chris and Richard and order a swazzle from Miraiker. I counted up my Swazzles.....I actually made 9 in total, so it wasn't quite a dozen. The reason that I made several was because I thought that by varying the sizes slightly and using different types of materials I would have a better chance of getting a result. I accept that my having little success after so much practice does indicate that either my swazzles aren't very good or that I'm doing something very wrong in my attempts to use them, or a combination of both.
Richard thanks for your very kind offer, I'm afraid I have neither skype or apple facetime, but watch this space!
As I already said I feel very encouraged by Robert Peston's attempt and WILL crack the swazzle!

David.
potson
Chipolata
Chipolata

Postby lesclarke » 11 Jul 2013, 11:40

The point is well made, that 'if it doesn't work when held up to your lips - then it won't work at the back of your mouth' it's very obvious, but easily overlooked by those worried that swazzling is so 'terribly difficult', and as Richard says, equally obvious it must be wet.

There is also a common temptation to give up too soon and think, 'suppose I try a new design or material'
Stick to the proven method.

Swazzles are basically simple, but need care and more importantly patience in their preparation. Once you have the two plates, it's all about the wrapping, and the point is that no matter how carefully you wrap it you may not get it right, the first time, (tested by holding up to your lips) ... so you must unwrap it and repeat the process. ..and repeat it until it works!

I recently made 4 new sets of plates and started wrapping them, the first pair took at least 6 efforts to get it working, it felt very frustrating, the others were much easier, but typically took 2 or 3 wrappings, and later 'adjusting' to improve them.

Out of the 4 swazzles I made, one was very good, 2 decent and one not that good.

I think that the problem with the first swazzle was that the tape was moving slightly during the wrapping,
perhaps the plates were not a good match, so didn't grip it well enough at the ends, so I modified the shape of my plates.

I have always used two shallow elipses for the plates, but for the other 3 sets I slightly altered the shape, after curving them I flattened each end slightly to give more surface area to grip the tape. It seemed to make wrapping more reliable.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby potson » 02 Aug 2013, 10:19

I'm expecting my new silver swazzle to arrive today courtesy of the very lovely Miraiker! :)
potson
Chipolata
Chipolata

Previous

Return to Punch Chat