Keeping Cool

Anything relevant

Keeping Cool

Postby gaz » 10 Jul 2013, 20:40

Thought this might be of interest to any other performers who sweat themselves silly like myself in this weather.

I was doing a school presentation today that involved doing two shows. It seems unavoidable to come out of the booth after the show and answer questions. My problem is I get so hot in the booth, I sweat like crazy. By the end of the show my shirt is ringing wet and my face is dripping. It is a rather debilitating state to be in especially if being asked questions while mopping my face with a towel.

So a teacher seeing the effect of the first show, appeared with a big fan, and an extension lead. I was a bit dubious at first. I have an eric sharp indoor booth with a velcroed back curtain. I half opened the back and had this fan placed behind me blowing directly into the back of the booth.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, at the end of my 25 minute show, I stepped out to questions, with a completely dry shirt, in fact not sweating at all. I enjoyed the question and answer session a lot more and didn't need the towel.

So for indoor school shows (which is the only time I would need this anyway) a long extension lead and a fan is the way to go I think...Ah the luxury of an air conditioned booth :D
gaz
Beefy
Beefy

Re: Keeping Cool

Postby Richard Coombs » 10 Jul 2013, 21:31

Nice one Gaz !

Im not a huge sweater myself ...but Im no lover of the really hot weather either.

It will probably surprise nobody here if I say I have a fan in my Wooden Heights of Abraham booth ( some folk here think there is a double bed and jacuzzi in it ...so a fan is hardly pushing the boat out LOL)

Mine has two speeds and can swivel and runs on 15v supply ( sadly I cant remember where I bought it from now )

I use the brick shaped Lead acid batteries that I used to run my Adestra sound system before I switched to Mipro .

So all those batteries and charger have not gone to waste . it also means the fan is portable should I want to take it with me other places in my lazy tongs type booth.

Fan is also mounted to a large clip ( but is bigger than most clip based fans you might visualise )

At Heights I clip it to the wooden stool I have in there for in between shows ( for when I dont fancy using the chez-lounge or the 3 piece suite !) ...this lets me aim the fan at the small of my back on swivel mode -- very refreshing and also not near enough to the microphone for its whirring sound to be transmitted .

Have not needed to use it for the last couple of Summers ...but 2013 could see it back in action.

Best

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby gaz » 10 Jul 2013, 21:47

A battery powered fan...mmm now I'm thinking :)
gaz
Beefy
Beefy

Postby johnstoate » 11 Jul 2013, 00:04

whilst on the subject, - I have a couple of little fans in the big rig working off my 12v. car battery setup they make a surprising difference for their size, and have a very low 'drain' ! - Source??? - Old computers! - Most old desktops etc. have a few of them inside, and all 12volt DC. best of all, you can usually aquire them for free :D
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 11 Jul 2013, 18:51

I'm quite happy with my punkha wala.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 11 Jul 2013, 19:32

I switched from one of those to an Apple Computer a few years back Chris :-=)
Last edited by Richard Coombs on 12 Jul 2013, 00:00, edited 3 times in total.
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 11 Jul 2013, 20:13

I still prefer a wala what punks. I suppose I like the personal touch and have found computers really can't do much more than compute.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby lesclarke » 15 Jul 2013, 12:59

Because we haven't had much in the way of hot weather in recent years, and much of that has been before the season really starts, I have got out of practise at coping with it.

I was at the same 2 day event this weekend, Saturday was boiling hot, and also very humid right from early morning, so setting up was a slog. By midday my drinking water was unpleasantly warm. Audiences can become a bit subdued in the sun and it's hard sometimes to keep 'digging deep' and inject enthusiasm to get them going again.

Often it is the humidity and lack of any breeze that is the real 'killer', and Sunday was a bright start, but without the humidity and with a cooling breeze, so setting up was really enjoyable. It warmed up by noon though, but stayed just about tolerable. I had also prepared, remembering that in past years I had taken a coolbox with lots of freeze packs, to keep my water cool, and with cool water on a flannel under my sun hat, ( I was told I looked ridiculous!) ... and sprayed on arms and legs it felt great!
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby gaz » 17 Jul 2013, 20:58

Well I have spent some money. I have bought a very large floor fan from B&Q Its pretty huge and cost £59. It looks like it belongs on the back of a hovercraft, or one of those fan powered boats for traversing the Everglades
I also got a 15m extension lead.

I tried it out a few days ago in a show in a day centre. Positioned the behind the booth, put it on full power and did the show. Absolutely marvellous, it works a treat. The noise is not a problem and it completely solved the sweating problem. No good for outdoor shows, but great for school halls etc.
gaz
Beefy
Beefy

Return to Punch Chat