Squirting Puppets

Anything relevant

Squirting Puppets

Postby gaz » 21 Jul 2013, 17:58

Just wondering about the practicality and entertainment value of these. Does anybody use them?

I have seen that there is now a squirting crocodile available, and I know there is a crying baby around.

I like the idea, sounds like it could be a bit of fun, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on them
gaz
Beefy
Beefy

Re: Squirting Puppets

Postby Nick Jackson » 28 Jul 2013, 00:03

My croc spits – usually goes over the kids' heads and gets the parents!
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby Chris » 28 Jul 2013, 10:43

OK for outdoor shows in the sunshine where squirting can do no harm and kids dry off quickly, otherwise avoid.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby lesclarke » 28 Jul 2013, 21:13

Probably the traditional way to squirt is by having a squeezy ball as the bladder holding your water and squeezing it. An alternative is to use a plastic syringe, and for the nozzle, use the thin metal needle-like tube as both included in kits to refill ink cartridges, connected together via a plastic tube.

It produces a reliable action.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Tony James » 17 Sep 2013, 18:04

Been a while but it’s been a busy summer and the quick answer is I’ve been busy squirting audiences! Once a day, twice a day, most days of the week. Chris hit the nail on the head when he said:

“OK for outdoor shows in the sunshine”

Squirting does work effectively in the sunshine but fails to register so well when it’s raining. So last year I hardly used my squirts. Frankly it was so wet that water squirts would have added insult to injury.

In general children squeal as they try and avoid the water and adults laugh at the antics of the children. Beware adults. They don’t like being sprayed. Ladies especially dislike it in case their clothes are marked. So be aware.

And never use it indoors. Wet on floors spells danger of accidents from slipping which wont enhance your popularity with your PLI insurer.

And don’t over do it. One routine is sufficient in a performance. You could change to a different routine in a follow-on show or come up with alternatives for different locations or times of the year.

Outside, remember you don’t need very much water at all. Like everything, it’s how you handle it which makes the gag visible and effective.

I only know what I know from my own show and experience.

The first I remember was Bert Codman and his squirting crocodile at Colwyn Bay. No doubt Chris will correct me but as I saw it my child’s mind immediately thought of those small, inexpensive water pistols which had no moving parts. A cast metal body with a rubber bulb where the butt end should have been. Squeeze and squirt. No doubt it was a simple bulb and tube. Like all mechanicals, the simpler in performance, the better.

My first squirting routine was a Crying Baby from Supreme which Bryan Clarke had supplied. Lovely little figure but hard to handle. There were three problems which I’ll explain because they and their solutions all apply to most squirting figures and props you are likely to develop.

The appropriate place for this is the Workshop so take a look over there.
Tony James

Magic With A Punch!
Tony James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 17 Sep 2013, 18:19

Yes, Bert Codman certainly had a squirting crocodile, as did the Llandudno Codman show. In fact it still does.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Nick Jackson » 17 Sep 2013, 19:14

It certainly does. But the secret will be more closely guarded than that of the swazzle!
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Return to Punch Chat