Fun in the Sun

Anything relevant

Fun in the Sun

Postby Chris » 11 Aug 2013, 10:21

Hope you are all enjoying the sunshine as much as I am. Admittedly the good weather is making for smaller audiences at my puppet theatre, but on the days when I am out doing Punch it is glorious and makes the work so much more enjoyable.
Of course there is always the odd glitch to spoil things. One day last week I, booth and puppets got really thoroughly soaked. Then at the weekend the showground was plagued with wasps. Three of my audience were stung. Of course I warned the kids about keeping calm and not flaying about wildly and making things worse. But when I discovered two wasps in my booth during the show it was very difficult to follow my own advice. I was quite proud of myself for keeping going, and very relieved that I wasn't stung. I do not rejoice in wasps.
And how pleasant to be able to work with rolled up shirt sleeves and not having to take off my jacket when entering the booth.
I've found the kids a little more difficult for evening shows. On Saturdays I do a 7.30 show at a caravan park. At the end of a hot day I find them less manageable. The site owner says that hot weather brings out the worst in people. I would have thought the opposite, imagining that people would be so much happier in sunny weather. Evidently I'm wrong since on the radio yesterday was piece about how hot and humid weather increases people's aggression levels.
Every year one of my favourite events is a Summer Fair organised by a local Rotary. This year was their 27th., but they mentioned they were unsure whether there would be a 28th? The recession? I asked. Not at all. They explained that it was getting more difficult to organise since the average age of their members was now 70 years old, and there were no younger men joining. This apparently is a widespread problem. Since Rotary is a charitable fundraising organisation its loss of popular appeal among the younger generation seems a rather depressing trend.
I'm on a sea-front this afternoon - a rather windy pitch, and wind is forecast. Getting the booth up is always a problem. Although I attach the guy ropes before I put on either the cover or the proscenium the frame tends to blow over before I get it pegged down, unless I can persuade someone to hold the frame in position for a couple of minutes.
Still the wind helps in drying off the cover after rain, and showers are also predicted.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Re: Fun in the Sun

Postby Chris » 11 Aug 2013, 20:47

Yes, it was windy!

It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Return to Punch Chat