CRB Check

Anything relevant

Postby lesclarke » 28 Aug 2007, 10:53

As far as anyone who is a pro or regular amateur, but paid, performer the process is fairly simple, and relatively cheap. I do have sympathy for those more occassional performers who may find this a barrier to starting to perform.

My own experiences have been very much as others have stated, with widely different levels of interest and actual checking of certs.

The whole system is an easy target for a good moan, and we are all very good at that, life has just got too complicated. Perhaps that's the price we pay for living in one of the world's most affluent societies. Come on, on a global scale we've got it easy!

Quite rightly it's often local councils who deserve much of the criticism in matters like this,(and the whole PC thing) showing how they lack that all important bit of common senese.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby johnstoate » 28 Aug 2007, 12:16

Aha! - There you have it Les, - Common senese!! - I thought THAT was legislated out of existence in these Fair Isles years ago.
We must be the only Nation on Earth that works on the theory that 'If there isn't a notice saying that it's dangerous it must be safe" - Which is, of course, the keystone of a 'nanny' state. I was on a steam fair over the weekend, and the latest target of the 'Safety thought police' was petrol engines on generators and such. (Petrol is slightly more prone to ignition in hot weather, you know, - It seems it's a volatile substance!!!) They were very keen on this, causing all sorts of problems and arguements, then someone pointed out that the portaloos on the site were emptied, roughly every hour using a petrol-driven pump!! :P In a nutshell, it seems that hygiene regulations take priority over health & safety!!! :lol: :lol: - The serious bit, beware if you use a petrol generator, it MAY be a problem waiting to occur. :roll:
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Tony James » 28 Aug 2007, 12:20

Now that's a bit of West Riding logic. there's a superabundance of intelligence - double honours degrees et al - with a corresponding paucity of plain commonsense.

And there's fashion. Of late it was public liability, then risk assessments. Now it's CRB checks. Very few are interested in the other two.

Anybody got any ideas what might come next?
Tony James

Magic With A Punch!
Tony James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Tony James » 28 Aug 2007, 12:35

I was writing as John was posting.

I thought petrol was outlawed at most big events. Outlawed by the organisers rather than by law.

Many shows are finally stopping personal generators and providing power from perimeter sited big silent generators. In Europe this has been the situation for a long time. Curiously they leave the cables trailing over the ground. Here, they have to be dug in and covered.

Which is fine till some dimwit hammers in a stake and there are blue lights up and down the field - and a stake with a withered end!
Tony James

Magic With A Punch!
Tony James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby johnstoate » 28 Aug 2007, 12:51

The bit that really amuses me is the way that on building sites and such, electrical gear has to be 110v dc for safety reasons, but on half the shows I do, there are chocolate fountains, candyfloss machines and catering vans, merrily running on 240v ac mains, without let or hindrance! :roll: I think it's about time we started again, scrapped all the existing stuff, and re-wrote the book with one set of rules for all occasions, based on good, old-fashioned common sense, preferably written by some retired self-made millionare of a practical persuasion, and about 200 years old, to allow for life experience :lol: :lol: - Degrees and such would debarr applications!!
John
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Tony James » 28 Aug 2007, 13:20

At a big three day county show it was snowing with people in yellow vests. Health & Safety.

One of the many rules outlawed petrol generators. Diesel was permitted but must be turned off for refuelling.

The County Police stand used a petrol generator, they refuelled with the thing still running and the H&S people stood there and watched them.

And they did nothing about it.

Hot days too. You could see - and smell - the petrol vapour - as it fluttered about as they refuelled. And it is the vapour which ignites. Not the liquid petrol.

Still, i suppose the H&S people were thinking about other things. Strange, they didn't do a thing about vehicle movements either. Blanket ban on vehicle movements - except, it appeared - where Police or Fire Brigade personnel were concerned or one or two others such as the Committee, local councillors or the County Council people and who was the other lot? Oh, yes. Themselves!

On a related point. Most big shows are paranoid about vehicles moving on the showground.

Are there any statistics about vehicle accidents on showgrounds which might support this concern?
Tony James

Magic With A Punch!
Tony James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby johnstoate » 28 Aug 2007, 22:55

Sorry, Tony, but I have to come out with the opposition on that one, There's too much vehicle movement on site(s) Usually through the back of my audience when I'm in the middle of a show!! - From my own H&S perspective, I am obliged to stop the action untill they are safely past.- I hate it, but safety MUST be OUR first concern. - Besides which, I have an unbroken safety record over twenty-odd years, I'm not losing it for the sake of some idiot who has to be somewhere else, ( I wish) ten minutes ago!! :evil:
John
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Tony James » 28 Aug 2007, 23:02

Well, I suppose it must depend on the shows but certainly the majority of those I attend have a blanket ban on vehicle movements. They go bananas if anything moves.

My question is what causes this paranoia? I'm not aware of there having been any significant problem with vehicles over the years.

Steam vehicles move around showgrounds and don't appear to cause any problems. But try moving a car at 2 mph ........................!

I realise you can't have vehicles touring around showgrounds but I am surprised how seriously some shows take this - as if there had been many serious accidents in the past.

Have there?
Tony James

Magic With A Punch!
Tony James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby johnstoate » 28 Aug 2007, 23:15

I honestly can't say that I've ever heard of any accidents. But given the way some people 'hare' about at 15mph. plus, (It's all relative) It can only be a matter of time!. Personally, I think that the movement one should be restricted to essential vehicles only, - We all know how silly, (Want of a better word!) Joe Public can be on occasions. So why give him the opportunity to increase our already exorbitant PL. insurance premiums :?: :?:
John
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

zombies

Postby Trev » 29 Aug 2007, 09:03

I think as well, observing how many people walk around car parks, that many people do not have it in their brains that that large metal object is actually moving towards them. In CAR parks they often just zombie across the path of moving cars, oblivious to them, dargging screaming kids and pushing trolleys.

At a show I think they'd have less reason expect a vehicle to be moving or to exercise caution or awareness. Couple that with those zombies on Ipodon and i think it is probably fair enough to limit vehicle movement (cars are often reasonably quiet, whereas even the most in attentive zombie might notice a traction engine).
Trev
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Previous

Return to Punch Chat