Punch at the V & A Museum

Anything relevant

Punch at the V & A Museum

Postby geoff.london » 04 Sep 2013, 16:26

For those who haven't seen this, one of the earliest films of Punch is now online at the V & A museum. This is Bailey's show. I hope this link works
http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/p ... dy-videos/
Its from 1901. Geoff.
geoff.london
Big Banger
Big Banger

Re: Punch at the V & A Museum

Postby lesclarke » 05 Sep 2013, 10:08

Thanks for posting that Geoff, really enjoyed it, watched it a couple of times, enlarged a bit last night and went back this morning.

Now realised that if you click the 'vimeo' name on right it goes to their site and then you can watch it full screen
and there is quite decent detail.

Lots of good action and manipulation, especially like the PC with Toby, he really seems to be staggering after a beating, nice Punch & Judy Dancy, Bowing and Kissy section, favourite bit is the Ghost scene , relatively simple but excellent use of drama and it is a fantastic Ghost, a great character as the arms open wide it almost looks like it has just opened its mouth.

Has it been mentioned before that it may not be Halifax, or was that a different image?

Oh, yes, and a fantastic booth, even in black & white you can tell that there is a good tonal balance in its overall design. Is that Ally Sloper on the right hand panel?
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby James » 05 Sep 2013, 12:20

A masterclass of a performance. Any Punch performer would benefit from studying it.
Arnott's Gowns for Clowns, Est 1985
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 05 Sep 2013, 14:20

I agree James, great dramatic skill and such attention to detail in the manipulation, and what also struck me was that the various bits of business shown are all relatively simple in concept, but done so well.

As in the truism - 'It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it'

New performers can fall into the trap of believing that novelty and clever ideas is the way to go, feeling that then their shows will stand out, when it's much better to invest their time into really honing a scene, or part of a scene.

This is where the real hard slog comes in though, so thinking that what their show needs is a squirting crocodile seems an easier option. When a squirting crocodile is just a piece of 'icing on the cake' in a thoroughly developed show.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby martin@no10 » 06 Sep 2013, 17:35

Thanks for posting this link Geoff - a great bit of film.
martin@no10
Porky
Porky

Postby geoff.london » 06 Sep 2013, 21:39

If anyone is interested, I wrote an article for 'The Swazzle' about this film which I called 'Gold on Celluloid'. I can send a copy of this to anyone who is interested on receipt of their Email address. Geoff.
geoff.london
Big Banger
Big Banger

Return to Punch Chat