Not seen this image before.

Anything relevant

Not seen this image before.

Postby lesclarke » 04 Dec 2013, 23:59

Currently advertised on ebay, is a plate from a book showing the image of a painting by Eleanor Fortescue Brickdale, (1872-1945) dated as 1914, entitled "TO SUPPOSE ONE CHEAT CAN GULL ALL THESE. WERE MORE MIRACULOUS" I think I know what she was getting at!

It is in Pre-Raphaelite style, and shows an audience watching a Punch show, with a variation on a commonly used composition, a fairly side-on view and featuring an urchin sneaking a peek through the covers.

The Punch shown is painted in a slightly less romantic style, and I'd guess was based on an actual figure. It has a distinctive hat, anyone recognise it?

I've never been a fan of this style of painting, and the Pre-Raphaelites as a whole, mostly down to their choice of subject, but in this Punch looks well.

I do like one Pre Raphaelite painting, by William Holden Hunt, one of the founders of the PR Brotherhood, 'Strayed Sheep' is most impressive, well, if you like sheep and cliff tops.

As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: Not seen this image before.

Postby Chris » 07 Dec 2013, 20:31

What about The Scapegoat?
Have you seen many of the actual paintings Les? If not then I'm sure a visit to the Lady Lever Gallery in Port Sunlight would make a convert of you.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Re: Not seen this image before.

Postby lesclarke » 08 Dec 2013, 11:32

Yes another great picture, and we like goats. I am a bit prejudiced against the PRs, and it is mainly regarding their more historical/romantic choice of subjects.
I am ashamed to say that coming from not too far away, and knowing of the history I have never visited Port Sunlight, so really must put it on the List.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Chat