Useful Puppet Ttorial

Anything relevant

Useful Puppet Ttorial

Postby Chris » 26 Mar 2014, 00:20

This Youtube video will be of interest to the makers among us, quite a useful technique.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee7reSBVtBI
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Re: Useful Puppet Ttorial

Postby Richard Coombs » 27 Mar 2014, 09:23

Thanks for sharing that Chris : the internet is a big old place , so finding good stuff can be hit and miss.

I did know this method ( or a version similar)
But great to share it around.

It might be worth putting the link on the Workshop side here too perhaps ?
In a few years time it will be easy for folk to find again.

But a great , easy to understand video.

Those kind of foam 'muppety' type puppets are like tailoring or clothes making generally : in that you can pattern cut meticulously , or once you have done years of it , or have the knack , you can freehand cut and pin to to a tailors dummy to achieve the effect.

- Or being less cryptic - the more you do of it the less you need rigid patterns and the easier it is create freehand and by eye.
When I am 'making it up as I go along' I occasionally find I have made a body or head I particularly like the look of...at this stage I un-pin the foam shapes I have T-Pined together and lay them out on some thin card ( or thick "lining" wallpaper ) and trace round them

This 'reverse engineers' a pattern, so that shape can be made again another time.

But its all good .

And that youtube video was an excellent tutorial.

Thanks again.
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 27 Mar 2014, 14:34

Yes Richard, I too have known the method of pinning shapes on a clay model to make patterns for many years. What was new to me, and so valuable I thought, was the idea of using a small model and then using those small patterns in conjunction with a computer and CAD program to accurately enlarge them. So obvious when you see it but.... well it's only a few months ago I needed to enlarge some fabric patterns from a magazine - and I laboriously squared them up!
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 27 Mar 2014, 19:33

Im not awfully good with computer stuff and don't have CAD.

But I do have a photocopier that has Enlarge/ Reduce capabilities , and have scaled patterns using that before now.

Andy Heath and Iestyn Evans who built the puppets for our BBC3 adult series "Mongrels" sometimes work this way too.
Like me ,they most often rough make in foam first , then retro make a pattern from that ( smoothing out and refining the shapes on the paper version to get a nicer and more even shapes )
Then sometimes they will make a clay sculpt of a head , cover it in cling film , then apply masking tape over that and work it out into sections in the same way as this video.

But as you say that is full size patterning - the clever thing shown in the video is the scaling up .

Patterns are brilliant for making lots of identical puppets as I had to last Summer:

Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Chat