You will rue the day you got those wing nuts

Anything relevant

You will rue the day you got those wing nuts

Postby James » 16 May 2014, 16:15

A lovely record of the 2014 May Fayre by Peter Steadman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvShkMz-wzU
Arnott's Gowns for Clowns, Est 1985
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: You will rue the day you got those wing nuts

Postby Chris » 16 May 2014, 18:32

Very selective! But a worthwhile record even so.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Dan » 17 May 2014, 00:04

Here's another selective video of the May Fayre - for all the right reasons! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hgx06dGKsA

Dan
Beefy
Beefy

Postby CvdC » 17 May 2014, 01:15

After Geoff's posting on here about photography without permission it was somewhat apposite to see his show being annoyingly interrupted by a photographer with a penchant for extreme close ups.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 17 May 2014, 19:49

Very nice video Dan, I enjoyed that.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby geoff.london » 18 May 2014, 14:00

Two very nice videos of the May Fayre so well done to Peter and Daniel.
geoff.london
Big Banger
Big Banger

Postby Richard Coombs » 19 May 2014, 08:44

Hello everyone.

Well I cannot believe it is only a week since the Mayfayre, time has flown.

I had are ally nice day ......well to be more accurate , I had a really nice half day.

Not long after buying a Big Grin photo book and DVD combi from the PJF stall , I got that very sudden and urgent feeling that all was not right .
The result of misguidedly having half a crayfish and rocket sandwich saved from the night before as breakfast before leaving my digs.

I did make it back to Richmond ..just.. Before things took their rather inevitable course.

Sparing you any more details , it did mean that I did not get to see as many shows as I would have liked , or get to the PJF AGM after the Mayfayre , or indeed say goodbye to anyone.

I was particularly sad to miss young Toms show . Tom who lives near Miraiker and Peter is a quite remarkable boy , I have met him only twice at the Batteys , last time a few weeks ago , and before that almost a year before to the day.

In the intervening year Tom has taught himself to Swazzle , quite excellently I might add.
Hopefully he got a chance to do a show in a borrowed booth , he had travelled down with his Mum and brother to try and perform. I hope he got the chance.
Doubtless I will see his show another time , this won't be Toms last Mayfayre ( he is the sort of chap you just know will be organising the celebrations for Mr Punches 400th birthday when it comes, if you snapped Tom in half he would have "Punch and Judy Man" written right through him like a stick of Blackpool Rock )

I did see Pete Maggs show for the first time ( big thanks to CvdC for the prompt to make sure I saw it )
The puppets Pete uses are not to my personal taste , however, it is a barnstormer of a show that goes down hugely well , proving that "pretty puppets" are not everything. Very glad I saw it.

It was smashing to see James Arnotts show again , it has been quite a few years now since I saw it last .
Lovely show , I was particularly taken with the Ring Master , with a red tailcoat jacket and top hat ...it is a really nice character to pop through the curtains and do the "Roll Up Roll Up" banter with.

Being a somewhat shameless pincher of nice ideas , I think I sense a bit of carving coming on next Spring sometime to add a RingMaster to the start of my show ( I have other new bits I am currently working on , so no time this year alas ..but it's a deffo for 2015 ). Thanks James :>)

My other regret about leaving early was not getting the chance to introduce Damien Weis around to a few people. Mind you he seemed a very outgoing sort of chap , so hopefully he did make himself known to most people ( I particularly hope he had the chance to meet Geoff Felix )

Damien had travelled over from France for his first taste of the Mayfayre and a crash course introduction to Mr Punch. Damien is one of Frances leading Guinol performers , who also carves beautiful figures ...very much in the same vein as Geoff , which is why I I hope they met and chatted.

Anyhow , attending a s spectator , even for a short day , may I say a big thank you to everyone who lugged their booths and kit to Covent Garden and performed.

Best Wishes

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby geoff.london » 19 May 2014, 13:27

So that's where you went Richard! Yes, I got to meet Damien and he has a standing invitation to visit next time he is in England. Hope all is well now. Geoff.
geoff.london
Big Banger
Big Banger

Postby Harvey » 21 May 2014, 19:52

Wish I could have made it there this year maybe the basingstoke festival
The Young Professor http://www.professor-harvo.xbuild.com at the age of 18
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link

Postby geoff.london » 21 May 2014, 20:04

Its a pity you missed it Harvey but never mind. There is also a two day festival at Southend. Joseph P. will be there performing there together with Chippy Wood, Julie Alexander and others. I believe that there is a wide selection of performers at Basingstoke although I don't know all the names. Both Basingstoke and Southend have been great supporters of Punch. You will have to pay to go on the pier at Southend but at Basingstoke its free. G.
geoff.london
Big Banger
Big Banger

Postby Harvey » 21 May 2014, 20:06

southend is to far for me (Apparently) but basingstoke is much closer
The Young Professor http://www.professor-harvo.xbuild.com at the age of 18
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link

Postby James » 22 May 2014, 14:45

I'll be at Basingstoke on the Saturday and Sunday, working alongside Paul Jackson and Geoff Gould.
Arnott's Gowns for Clowns, Est 1985
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Nick Jackson » 26 May 2014, 17:17

I noticed a couple of the profs in the video (Bryan Clarke among them) using a neck sling of some kind for their mics. What are these called? Have been trawling Google. Can anyone help?
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby Chris » 26 May 2014, 18:10

Well the generic name is Lavalier cord or Lavalier clip but there are a host of variants. If you mean to use with a standard hand held michrophone (rather than a miniature which is the norm) then the basic one is an ordinary mic holder attached to a loop of cord which goes round the neck. People have devised plates to hold the mic steady and at the right angle, and exta cords and elastics to stop it swinging around. Robert Harbin devised one from a wire coathanger and this design spawned a host of variants. The one I use is simply a large hook made of steel rod - and at one end is welded a michrophone clip (from Maplins). This is pretty stable and very quick to attach/detach. Very many magic dealers stock their pet variety.
Or try this design:

It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Nick Jackson » 26 May 2014, 18:36

Thanks, Chris. I will have my hair restyled accordingly!
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Next

Return to Punch Chat