Re: Liverpool Codman

Postby Nick Jackson » 14 Jun 2014, 17:42

And this is the third Richard
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby Nick Jackson » 14 Jun 2014, 17:49

I think this footage might have appeared on here before: Professor Codman on his original site in 1955 – from 47".

However, this clip is one I've never come across before: colour footage of the show in Williamson Square in the 1970s.
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby Chris » 14 Jun 2014, 18:27

Yes Nick, James posted a link to the first film - but it is well worth being reminded of it. I hadn't seen the Willamson Square snippet - pity there's no sound.
Nor do I recall seeing this Llandudno bit with its rather dubious history:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCz2hIGDdJ4
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Nick Jackson » 15 Jun 2014, 19:07

Chris wrote:I can't tell - they are much younger men than the Bert I remember. But even if so, which Bert? Herbert or Albert?
I presume Albert as Herbert – unless there were two – was brother of Richard II and had inherited the Llandudno pitch.
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby Nick Jackson » 15 Jun 2014, 19:14

Further to yesterday's post, here is further footage of the 1970s – alas, all without sound:
3:08 and 4:57 mostly as already posted
5:51 The show being taken down
6:00 A busy Williamson Square with the Codmans on one side and the Catholic Evidence Guild on the other.
6:37 The show being wheeled away and then the appearance of Bessie Braddock MP – I'm wondering if this was the day the show moved from The Quadrant to St George's Plateau.
There's quite a bit of Ronnie talking in the Museum of Liverpool, in front of his exhibit but as there's no sound....
7:24 Ronnie performing in the Museum
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby Chris » 15 Jun 2014, 22:40

Just a clarification between Bert and Bert. Herbert was Albert's uncle and Jack's father. Albert was the only Codman to have the Colwyn Bay pitch and he used the name "Bert" professionally. In the family Herbert was sometimes referred to as Bert. Herbert inherited the Llandudno pitch as Nick points out. Bert learned his trade together with his brother Richard (3rd) in the Liverpool show under tuition of their father. Richard was to inherit the Liverpool show while Bert returned to Wales. Perhaps it was uncle Herbert who suggested he try his luck in Colwyn Bay?

And looking at the Sandon picture again, and remembering Nick writing:
And have since discovered that's Richard Codman II on the left and Richard Codman III on the right. Wonder if the other one is Bert.

Then yes, the two on the right look around the same age, and Bert was but 5 years younger than his brother, and they worked the show together with their father, so I can't see who else it could be.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Nick Jackson » 16 Jun 2014, 07:47

Chris, do you happen to know when Bert arrived in Colwyn Bay? I'm told it was a busy resort in its day. Just wondering why he might have left Liverpool - after all, with the city pitch and private bookings there must gave plenty of work for two or three punchmen.
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby Chris » 16 Jun 2014, 09:27

As I understand it there was some kind of falling out. I don't remember the details, and even then I only ever heard Bert's side of the story. By the time I knew Bert he was very much a loner and he seemed to have severed contact with both the Liverpool and Llandudno families.
As for the date when he started in Colwyn Bay, I don't know. It should be possible to find out from Council records.
What puzzles me is that there wasn't already a Punch show in Colwyn Bay, or in Llanfairfechan or Prestatyn for that matter, they were all thriving resorts. As far as I know there were only Llandudno and Rhyl with permanent pitches. Rhos on Sea had a bandstand with regular concerts, and Colwyn Bay had a seafront Pierrot Show as well as a Variety Theatre on the pier which indicates that it enjoyed a sizeable number of holiday makers.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Chris » 16 Jun 2014, 21:16

Just a slight correction to the info that accompanies the picture Nick posted of the Sandon booth.
The inscription on it reads:
Presented by the Sandon Studios Society's Subscribers Dec 1922

In 1922 the Sandon Studios Society, an independant art school and art society in Liverpool, arranged for a subscription committee headed by Mr A Parry, then Chief Librarian, to commission the famous Liverpudlian sculptor H Tyson-Smith to carve a beautiful Punch and Judy booth with figures taken from ‘Punch‘ magazine as a gesture of appreciation of the Codmans' contribution to Liverpool life.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Nick Jackson » 16 Jun 2014, 21:22

Thanks for that, Chris.
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby Chris » 17 Jun 2014, 20:50

Here's another Williamson Square picture, believed to be Jack performing there in 1974.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Nick Jackson » 17 Jun 2014, 22:10

More likely Ronnie or Dick
It's an unusual proscenium. Painted on fabric perhaps?
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby Chris » 17 Jun 2014, 22:20

It's just that the accompanying text said thought to be Herbert's son! But out of his territory if it was.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Nick Jackson » 17 Jun 2014, 22:24

It's certainly the Liverpool show. Jack and Dick got on well so it's not impossible but unlikely. Perhaps the writer confused Herbert and his brother, Richard II.
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby Nick Jackson » 17 Jun 2014, 23:11

Another Liverpool pic from the 1890s

Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

PreviousNext

Return to Punch Chat