Liverpool Codman

Anything relevant

Re: Liverpool Codman

Postby Chris » 17 Jun 2014, 23:38

I remember the cobbles! Before the motorways were built I used to drive to Blackpool via Liverpool and Preston and remember that many of the main streets in Liverpool were still cobbled.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Nick Jackson » 17 Jun 2014, 23:44

We still gave plenty of cobbles - around the dock and in the Georgian district - a joy for tourists and filmmakers - less attractive to cyclists!
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby CvdC » 18 Jun 2014, 01:00

It is interesting to note that I once read the cobbles in Liverpool come from where I live.
When ships returned to England they were ballasted with stone that was used to cobble the roads. The ships were loaded up just a short walk from my studio.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Tony James » 18 Jun 2014, 18:08

CvdC wrote:It is interesting to note that I once read the cobbles in Liverpool come from where I live.
When ships returned to England they were ballasted with stone that was used to cobble the roads. The ships were loaded up just a short walk from my studio.

That's interesting. Ships coming to Bristol from South Africa had a ballast which was sold off and included earth/sand/ rock and pebbles and amongst it were wild gladioli corms. They have over a long time spread across Somerset and grow feral. I brought some home up here and they have thrived - after a fashion.

The corms are small and the stem thinner than the modern gladioli but of reasonable height - 30 to 40 inches. Foliage is similar to the cultivated though finer but mostly a single flower and always mauve in colour. I look forward to them appearing late spring so they are earlier than the moderns. Fine and quite delightful. In West Somerset they are known as Sheep Shearers.
Tony James

Magic With A Punch!
Tony James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 18 Jun 2014, 18:21

South Africa? I would have thought gladioli called Sheep Shearers would more appropriately come from Australia. Are you sure they weren't smuggled in with Chris's cobblers?
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Tony James » 18 Jun 2014, 18:56

Funny you said that Chris. Exactly what Helen said to me. But apparently South Africa is the home of the gladioli. And sheep shearers? Well, that's what polite West Somerset folk call them. Less polite ones call them something else - sheep shaggers but I have no idea why!
Tony James

Magic With A Punch!
Tony James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 18 Jun 2014, 20:46

Exactly my point Tony, sheep shaggers being an impolite pseudonym for Australians. And gladioli are apparently not unknown down under.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby CvdC » 19 Jun 2014, 02:56

Chris, why is it that your attempts at humour always come across as being somewhat snide rather than indicative of any sort of wit?
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 19 Jun 2014, 09:27

Probably because it is.
Certainly I am not blessed with your own wit and sense of humour. I apologise if my rather childish humour offends you.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Tony James » 19 Jun 2014, 11:19

Chris wrote:Exactly my point Tony, sheep shaggers being an impolite pseudonym for Australians. And gladioli are apparently not unknown down under.

Thank you Chris - that's beautiful. I must show it to the dear fellow when next I see him.
Tony James

Magic With A Punch!
Tony James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 19 Jun 2014, 11:56

I thought you'd appreciate it Tony. Serendipity, but I think the hat tones beautifully with the wig don't you think?
It occurred to me after posting that the SS nickname is also applied to NewZealanders and to the Welsh! That's understandable since they too have been known for a sizeable amount of sheep farming. I still can't fathom the South African connection though since I have never known them paricularly associated with sheep. Yet when I Google it they do seem to have quite a lot of sheep in South Africa. It must be a blindspot in my knowledge.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Trevek » 23 Jun 2014, 10:01

Aberdonians too, Chris. I was once at an England vs Scotland university boxing match in Glasgow, where the Glasgow student was actually English and the "English" student was from Aberdeen. Upon this fact being announced, the crowd began bleating...
Trevek
Big Banger
Big Banger

Previous

Return to Punch Chat