Audience reaction

Anything relevant

Audience reaction

Postby CvdC » 09 Mar 2015, 02:12

Morning Post Thursday 05 December 1833

It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: Audience reaction

Postby lesclarke » 09 Mar 2015, 16:25

Interesting story Chris, the info we have is 1833, Union Hall, the performer Ridley, and The Spa Road... just checking, are we talking UK Morning Post, or is this an Australian Morning Post?
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: Audience reaction

Postby CvdC » 09 Mar 2015, 20:50

Sorry, in London. I have been collecting Punch references in the UK newspapers from 1740 to 1880. These bits and pieces of contemporary articles build up into a history - the history being in the detail. It is interesting.

1879:

For instance here is a little snippet.
London Daily News reported on the discovery of Gold in Australia on the 20th of September 1821. This was a little bit of information that would go on to have significant impact and reports of this nature would encourage many people to try their luck in the colony.
But here we find in amidst it all:

I suspect this was a bloke called Holland who was performing Punch and Fantoccini puppets in New South Wales and Van Diemen's Land since about 1840.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Chat