Peter Baldwin RIP

Anything relevant

Peter Baldwin RIP

Postby Chris » 26 Oct 2015, 22:03

Peter Baldwin, President of the British Puppet and Model Theatre Guild died, aged 82, last week. Peter was not a Punch Prof, he was a model theatre enthusiast. Many Punch men are also Guild members, but non Guild members who celebrate the May Fayre may know Peter through his Covent Garden shop, "Pollocks Toy Theatre" with its stock all things puppety, and many of us remember him as an actor, especially in his Coronation Street role as Derek Wilton with his neurotic relationship with Mavis which must have lasted over a decade.
Peter was a lovely man, very gentle, and a great friend to puppetry. He will be greatly missed.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Re: Peter Baldwin RIP

Postby Richard Coombs » 26 Oct 2015, 23:09

Thank you Chris for remembering Peter on here.

I only met him in person once a couple of years back when I bought a Theatre frontage and stage curtains for a toy theatre from his Covent Garden shop.

I was lucky enough to be served by the man himself, and he listened with enthusiasm to my plans to build a large oversized Toy Theatre.
Despite the pressures of running a shop , with all the stocktaking and bookkeeping that must entail , his love for model theatres was not diminished , but burned bright.

i am sad that I will not be able to take in pictures of my project to show him when its finished.

A sad loss
Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: Peter Baldwin RIP

Postby lesclarke » 03 Nov 2015, 23:42

A week last Sunday evening we had not long finished watching Peter deliver a superb performance in a 1995 Coronation Street episode, a rare, possibly unique example when the Derek character actually came out on top and then we heard that Peter had died. Reading the booklet from the boxed set Derek's appearances were always keenly anticipated, he had a great feeling for comedy.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Chat