A Well GUILD-ed Lilly is a Beautiful thing

Anything relevant

A Well GUILD-ed Lilly is a Beautiful thing

Postby Richard Coombs » 16 Nov 2015, 23:55

I logged on tonight to thank Chris for his part in Yesterdays 90th Birthday Celebrations of the Puppet and Model theatre Guild.

Those of us lucky enough to make it to Wolverhampton's Slade Rooms were treated to a splendid afternoon of entertainment.

Chris and Michael Dixon took a spellbound audience through a potted history of the Guild with some wonderful powerpoint images , Exhibition of Puppets and live Performances.

The marionette sections were particularly fascinating for the puppeteers in the audience as there was no curtain concealing the performers.
Seeing the concentration and skill involved in the manipulation was as entertaining as watching the puppets.

For me this was most true of the "handkerchief ballet' , which I had seen before at the Harlequin Theatre , but without the benefit of seeing the complex control rigs and skill and timing needed to work them to the music.

As well as marionette Stories and Cabaret routines , Chris also did a very funny glove puppet version of "Pyramous and Thisbee" in his Punch Booth.

All this and some rather splendid tea and homemade cakes , along with the chance to catch up with old friends.

There was a large contingent of Punch and Judy performers in the crowd , as Chris has mentioned in another thread .

Among the puppets on display were a Wall Kent set of Punch figures.
Needless to say some people just couldn't keep their hands off them :-)
But then equally I could not resist his fine chap:
About 26 years ago when I was performing at Polka children's Theatre I used to see this Waldo Lancaster Punch through the glass in the Exhibition there.
So I could not resist trying him out.

It was , as I am sure you can tell, a really Wonderful Day.
CONGRATUALTIONS to the Guild on 90 years

And thanks again Chris and Michael for the entrtainment.

Best
Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: A Well GUILD-ed Lilly is a Beautiful thing

Postby Chris » 17 Nov 2015, 00:33

Thank you Richard, your pictures vividly record the occasion.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Return to Punch Chat