Apparently we promote domestic violence, again.

Anything relevant

Apparently we promote domestic violence, again.

Postby bilbobaglin » 13 May 2016, 21:38

It would appear the joyless brigade are at it again...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-36284962

I particularly like,

"I don't know what the exact content of the show would have been, but it has elements of hitting people and that is not something that we would want to promote."

And while you're at it ban every Tom and Jerry cartoon, Bond film, Laurel and Hardy, Pantomime, boxing matches, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Star Trek, Superman, Batman, Ironman, Spiderman, The Sealed Knot (in fact almost all historical reenactment), the Army, Navy and Air Force, Dad's Army, most of Shakespeare, Marlowe and that crowd, fencing, tae kwon do, in fact the Olympics, Rugby, the Mario Brothers, Bruce Lee, the Piniata, Folk Songs, Tolstoy, and children.
----------------
Professor Llusern
http://professorllusern.wordpress.com
bilbobaglin
Chipolata
Chipolata

Re: Apparently we promote domestic violence, again.

Postby Chris » 15 May 2016, 12:03

We get almost exactly the same story each year, and usually at this time of year (when it can do most damage to potential bookings) and often "contrived" by the journalists.

Punch and Judy has proved controversial for councils in the UK for more than a decade, with some suggesting the show can be misogynistic and out of step with modern times.

In actual fact this has been going on for a great deal longer than a decade.In my collection I have a newspaper cutting relating to a similar event in 1934.

I feel sure that journalists have a list of topics, for different times of the year, which they can consult when short of real news. For the start of the Summer one of the suggestions will be "Punch and Judy Controversy" with a note to check with Local Councillors. On more than one occasion I've had a call from the media enquiring whether I had any knowledge of Councils Banning Punch or such like. Usually they have a trivial snippet which they hope to build into a feature controversy.

If you read this story carefully all it is saying that they considered booking Punch & Judy and decided to book something else. I'm quite sure if you dug around you would find a Local Authority somewhere that had decided not to book a Bouncy Castle because someone thought it dangerous, and booked something else. The pictures used are Stock photos, nothing to do with the story. This really is a non-story.

Annoying as these things are, the fact that a trivial council decision not to book a Punch show becomes national news just illustrates how unusual and out of step is such prejudice.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Return to Punch Chat