Rod Burnett passes away...

Anything relevant

Rod Burnett passes away...

Postby Pault71 » 02 May 2017, 15:28

Just seen the very sad news reporting the Death of Rod Burnett. Does anyone know anything more about this!

Here is the link to the post on the Punch and Judy Fellowship Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/punchandjudypa ... 2450035127
Pault71
Weenie
Weenie

Re: Rod Burnett passes away...

Postby Richard Coombs » 02 May 2017, 16:19

Thank you for passing on the sad news Paul.

A sad , sad day.
Such a talented man.
Not only were his shows wonderful , but his 'bedside manner' with audiences is one I always admired.
He put an audience into a relaxed mood , ready to laugh.

Sadly missed.
A lovely man.
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: Rod Burnett passes away...

Postby Chris » 02 May 2017, 21:09

You pipped me Paul, I was just composing a post when I saw yours. The link, by the way, is to the Punchandjudypage on Facebook, not that of the fellowship. Thanks for your promt alert.

But yes, it is a terrible tragedy, we have lost a treasure. Rod was far and away one of our best performers, not perhaps in a traditional way but always in the traditional spirit of Punch. His handling of an audience and his mastery of getting into a show, and winding up showed brilliance, and the show itself was funny, distinctive and with skilful manipulation. If you've never seen his show search on Youtube and enjoy a masterclass in technique. Then say a prayer for Rod and his family.

Rod was particularly adept at presenting Punch to a foreign audience and played at very many puppetry festivals abroad. It was at one of these that he died. I know no details but suspect that this is how most performers hope to go. The shock and sadness is to those who are left to grieve. Our condolences must go to Rod's family.

If anyone closer to Rod would like to write a proper obituary then please do so here. Then I can perhaps give it a more permanent home on Punchandjudy.com
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Return to Punch Chat