LOST HISTORY

Anything relevant

Postby CvdC » 06 Aug 2007, 22:41

There is a photo in the Punch makers section that shows a range of hands that you can use to help identify a puppet. Each hand is labeled.To describe studying Punch as a maze points out something. An afternoon spent wandering through a maze is interesting, more so than the drive down the motorway to get to it I should think.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Professor Eek » 07 Aug 2007, 00:27

I don't deny the journey is or could be interesting for those who love trvel, but if seekeing a point to arrive at .... a maze can sometimes put one off the journey.

I know what I would like - and I'm happy to put it together.
==============================
incredibly bad magic and dreadful balloon modelling thrown in for free
Professor Eek
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Postby Professor Eek » 07 Aug 2007, 00:40

It is so easy to criticise - but takes much more effort to make an actual contribution.

I've volunteered to make this contribution Chris - give me a call and we can discuss if my ideas are viable - Please don't send PM - I think we misunderstand each other a lot when communicating via the board or PM
==============================
incredibly bad magic and dreadful balloon modelling thrown in for free
Professor Eek
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Postby Chris » 07 Aug 2007, 23:08

The best way to send material for the website is as a rich text file, or an html file attached to an email. Alternatively you can use the text upload facility which is provided alongside the picture upload facility on the website.
Pictures intended for the web are best sized around 600pix on their widest measure, and at a resolution between 75 and 100ppi
I am prepared to put the work into converting large resolution pictures, but please, if sending these by email send one at a time. That is attach one picture to one email. I do not rejoice in emails with 40 megabyte attachments.

<p>
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Nick Jackson » 07 Aug 2007, 23:39

CvdC wrote:There is a photo in the Punch makers section that shows a range of hands that you can use to help identify a puppet.

I've had a look but can't find this. Might be one glass of wine too many but more likely that I'm just being thick.
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby CvdC » 08 Aug 2007, 01:10

It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Nick Jackson » 08 Aug 2007, 10:24

Thanks for that, Chris. Fascinating.
I did pour you a glass but as you are so far away I had to drink it before it evaporated.
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby James » 09 Aug 2007, 15:22

Sorry, have been away from the boad for a few days.

Repainting a Quisto devil and then complaining about lost history....hmmm!

I'm often surprised at the trouble Punch men have in identifying figures. You'd think that the Wal Kent turned head, or the Quisto glass eyes and detailed hands would be a starting point but maybe not.

Sorry Chris, hadn't meant to miss you off the list, posting from my mobile phone isn't ideal. Yes this website has lots of great stuff as you and I know well, even if not everyone can find it! Geoff also has a nice section of archive material on his website for those interested, as does Mark Poulton.

J
Arnott's Gowns for Clowns, Est 1985
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 09 Aug 2007, 15:46

I think it rather reinforces my point James.

The point being that when I repainted him, (and he had already been very badly overpainted,) there was no easy way to identify him. I had a large Quisto Policeman, obviously easily identified, but had never seen a reference to the smaller figures, which are a rather different in style.

Apart from the obvious examples you give, the only way to identify figures with complete confidence is if you are fortunate enough to have handled many examples, a situation few people find themselves in.

Anyway, the Devil may well eventually ride again.

Incidentally, on my website's 'picture page' (www.properpunch.co.uk) there is a picture of a figure dressed in green cord and grey, looks like typical Wal Kent hands, I think I even referred to it on this message board years ago, but no-one ever confirmed it as a WK character or said it was not, so as hinted at in the caption he is now a Vicar.

More lost history?
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Nick Jackson » 09 Aug 2007, 15:52

All depends on whether you're a Punchman or a collector – obviously some people can be both. But if I came across a figure by Tickner, Quisto or Michelangelo it would be painted and dressed according to how I wanted to use it in the show. If I didn't want to use it... well, I'm not a collector apart from one two pieces of particularly sentimental value, a couple of them more than a century old.
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby James » 09 Aug 2007, 15:59

There are excellent photo references for the various makers on this site alone.

Nick...if you don't want to collect you can always sell, and Tickner/Kent/Quisto puppets have been making very good money, mainly thanks to eBay, but also in the London auction houses as well.
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Nick Jackson » 09 Aug 2007, 16:09

I wonder if the international nature of eBay has pushed up the prices?

James, looks like we've had several conversations on here without knowing each other. Nice to meet you.
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby James » 09 Aug 2007, 16:12

And you.

You only need two people intent on getting the item in any situation for the price to rocket up. And of course people can garner the attention of the world rather than a small few.

This then leads to other Punch men asking for a few thousand pounds for a set of Wal Kent puppets for example!
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby David Wilde » 09 Aug 2007, 21:10

Did you buy them James!
Im above all this!!
David Wilde
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Postby Tony James » 09 Aug 2007, 21:14

I wonder if it is possible to detect a Kent/Tickner figure. When Wal was busy he would pass part made figures over to Fred Tickner to do the carving.

Does anyone have any idea if Fred copied Wal's style or not? Was Fred doing the more intricate carving work?

The two seemed to work in different ways. Wal worked full face and Fred worked in profile.
Tony James

Magic With A Punch!
Tony James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

PreviousNext

Return to Punch Chat