A home for Punch

Anything relevant

Postby CvdC » 24 Aug 2007, 00:13

me? Quibble?
I've learnt from the master.

A good deal of tourism is sernendipity.
Like I said in my previous posting on this subject, I simply make the suggestion and observation. The London Punch and Judy performers can make of it what they want.
But for me it is a fun idea to while away the time with.
I never said anything about winter. You have a knack of taking someone's argument to an extreme and then arguing against that. You should be in politics Chris. Or at least run for your local council.

What do you think of this?

I'm thinking of publishing a little story book that can be sold by Punch performers.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 24 Aug 2007, 10:57

I don't think I said anything about Winter either. This is Britain - and there are days in Spring and Autumn, and yes the Summer, when heating is needed. I know - I pay the bills.
Any way let's leave that subject - it's had a good double airing and I don't want you feeling I've been rough on you yet again.

As for the attractive book idea, you are very welcome to advertise it on the site. I'm sure it would generate interest.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Professor Eek » 24 Aug 2007, 15:05

Lovely picture Chris but isn't hisnibs on the 'wrong' side?

Unless the puppeteer has his arms crossed ....

Genuine question as I thought ALL Punch's were on right hand to battle the 'evil' left (in a medieval way rather than Thatcherite)
==============================
incredibly bad magic and dreadful balloon modelling thrown in for free
Professor Eek
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Postby James » 24 Aug 2007, 19:12

Tradition, perhaps, for Punch to be on the right, but where common sense comes into play Punch should be on the stronger hand, i.e. Right handed performer, Punch on the right.
J
Arnott's Gowns for Clowns, Est 1985
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby David Wilde » 24 Aug 2007, 19:38

That Punch looks quite familer to me Chris(down under) what image did you base it on!
Im above all this!!
David Wilde
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Postby CvdC » 24 Aug 2007, 21:45

It is a familiar Punch. I'll give you a clue. Let's just say there is a certain collector who does not want it.

I must swap it over to the other side.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Professor Eek » 24 Aug 2007, 22:00

I don't think it's a question of 'Must' Chris

I was genuinely interested if "lefty's" used Punch on their left hand instead of the right

It may be a myth but I have heard the 'good' (right hand) fighting the 'wicked' (left hand) viewpoint on a number of occassions and wondered if, because of this, left handed puppeteers did it as 'comfortable' (Punch on left hand) or as per 'tradition' (if tradition is what 'right hand v left hand' is) even if this might be harder to perform.

Have we any left handers out there?
==============================
incredibly bad magic and dreadful balloon modelling thrown in for free
Professor Eek
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Postby David Wilde » 24 Aug 2007, 22:20

Think I got your clue Chris,can you send me a 1000,books as soon as please!

That same Punch was used in all the Chessington zoo advertising many years ago as well!
Im above all this!!
David Wilde
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Postby Chris » 24 Aug 2007, 22:22

Yes left handed performers do sometimes use Punch on the left hand. Punch stays on stage the whole show, more or less, therefore it is not surprising that most choose to keep him on their strongest hand.

I'm sure that any symbolic derivation is invention. If there were anything in it, surely it would be the other way round? After all the performer's right is the audience's left.

<p>
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby billywand » 24 Aug 2007, 22:55

Here's a conundrum. I'm right handed, and in my show Punch starts on my right, but ends up on my left hand.

Throughout the show Punch is on my right hand, 'till the croc gets him. Punch escapes the crocc, who looks about the playboard for him. Thinking he's invincible, Punch looks out from under the playboard drape, at the croc "nah nah na nah nah, can't get me !!"

Croc does get him, by reaching over the playboard, pulling him out, waving him in the air and taking him down, on the left side.

While this is happening my right hand is getting Joey on so as soon as croc takes Punch down, Joey can come up with the frying pan looking for him. Punch then crawls up on the left, the same side as the croc took him down on, telling Joey he's dead etc

The show then ends, cos there are no sausages for tea, Punch hasn't got his stick, so Joey goes down to get Judy, whose headache is a lot better,
up comes Judy on my left hand for a quick song and dance to end it.

This way I finish with the two characters the show is named after, but they are on the "wrong" hands

Just thought someone might be interested !!!!!!!!!!
Kind regards
Billy Wand

Remember nothing is foolproof to a very determined fool
billywand
Thick Link
Thick Link

Previous

Return to Punch Chat