Filey

Anything relevant

Filey

Postby mrmarmalade » 27 Aug 2007, 20:52

Does anyone know who the Prof. at Filey was, some 50 years ago?
I have just found an old Cine film, silent and not very clear, but what I remember as an excellent show when our children were young.
Geoffrey Farrar

My performing days are effectively over at 82 but I do go round giving talks (illustrated) locally
mrmarmalade
Porky
Porky

Postby johnstoate » 27 Aug 2007, 22:20

Oddly enough, (Given my memory for names) You have sparked a memory here, I do remember seeing a show on holiday, in (I'm pretty sure) Filey, when nobbut a boy, I don't remember much, but I do remember the first name, - It was 'odd' to me, and therefore stuck in the memory The 'prof' was 'Seth' something - May help jog someone else's grey cells!! :D
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby mrmarmalade » 30 Aug 2007, 19:45

Thanks for putting a word in, John. I was hoping that someone, amongst the historians, might have a record. Never mind, it was worth the try.
Geoffrey Farrar

My performing days are effectively over at 82 but I do go round giving talks (illustrated) locally
mrmarmalade
Porky
Porky

Postby Chris » 31 Aug 2007, 10:50

Have you asked Geoff Felix?
He should be the first port of call for any query about Punch and Judy history, his archive is a mine of information.

<p>
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby geoff.london » 07 Sep 2007, 17:56

Earnest Brisbane was there as well as Tom Kemp and his brother in law. I believe the name of the brother in law was Len Foote. Apparently he was a ventriloquist as well as a punchman and learnt Punch from Tom Kemp in Brighton. Hope this helps. Geoff.
geoff.london
Big Banger
Big Banger

Postby Chris » 07 Sep 2007, 21:49

I rather think Tom Kemp was there earlier than 1957. But if it was Tom Kemp you should be able to tell from the voice of the characters if it is a sound film - Tom spoke very much with an Oxford accent - he was known as "the gentleman Punch Professor".
Ian Thom and I worked alongside Tom at a castle in Wales during the late 60's.
Chris
Site Admin

Postby CvdC » 07 Sep 2007, 22:40

The "gentleman Punch Professor" hey? Well there's an apellation to aspire to. Now who could take on this mantle?
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 07 Sep 2007, 23:38

I don't think you understand quite just what was meant Chris - its a Class thing, peculiarly British I imagine - where a few decades ago people's class or position in society was detectable by their accent. Tom was an anachronism in that his accent was at odds with his calling. I'm afraid it made him something of a figure of fun - and the "gentleman" appellation implied that he was giving himself airs and graces above his station.
He was a very nice chap, and was, in fact, a gentle man.
Chris
Site Admin

Postby johnstoate » 08 Sep 2007, 00:02

Hello, geoffrey, I've been hasslin me mam & dad, - they say it was Seth trixham, or possibly Trixholm, and that he worked Butlins camp as well, So between us all, you must have something useful by now! -Regards, John.
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby CvdC » 08 Sep 2007, 09:13

Obviously I didn't understand. I forgot that to be a gentleman isn't something one aspires to be but rather something you're born into.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby mrmarmalade » 09 Sep 2007, 17:32

Many thanks to everyone, particularly Chris., for his suggestion and Geoff. for coming up with some names. Unfortunately, it was an old camera and did not record sound and the picture is so faint, now, that distinguishing everything is largely a matter of knowing what to expect.
Thank you also to John for pursuing it with his young father, I can say that because he is my age and it is all in the mind
Geoffrey Farrar

mrmarmalade
Porky
Porky

Postby johnstoate » 09 Sep 2007, 22:55

Pleasure to try to help Geoffrey, Just wish I could do more. Hope you get somewhere with it. :D - 'Course, Dad's younger than me, so the memory's better!!
John
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 09 Sep 2007, 23:15

In Robert Leach's P&J Show etc, p148, in context of his 1979 survey, he mentions Seth Trixom at Butlins Filey.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 09 Sep 2007, 23:34

Trixom? I bet he was a magician.
Chris
Site Admin

Postby johnstoate » 10 Sep 2007, 00:12

Hang on, Les Was Butlins Filey still in existence in 1979? - I'm talking of at least fifteen years before that, And I know that Filey was one of the earlier Butlins casualties :?
John
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Next

Return to Punch Chat