Filey

Anything relevant

Postby Chris » 10 Sep 2007, 09:10

There seems a little confusion here. Yes John, Butlins Filey was still open in 1979. It opened in 1939 and closed in 1983.
Seth Trixom may well have been Punch & Judy prof there in 1979 as Les reports - but actually Geoffrey was asking about a Punch man of 50 years ago - the mid fifties surely?
Of course this Trixom chap may have been there over twenty years - but if that were so it would mean that the other profs Geoff Felix mentions must have all been in the 10/11 years from 1945.
Chris
Site Admin

Postby johnstoate » 10 Sep 2007, 10:23

It's ok, I'm not trying to argue, - I'm working on my own childhood recollections of family holidays (At Butlins) in the late 50's early 60's, And this Seth character is in there, - According to family, The last Butlins holiday I was on was 1964 and Skegness, Hence the mystification with the 1979. :?
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 10 Sep 2007, 11:36

To further complicate matters, the Filey Punchman may not have been the Butlin's Filey Punchman? Come to think of it, is that likely? Butlin's kids' entertainers were worked pretty hard - too much so for them to have time to moonlight and do a beach or promenade show in the town. So Trixom may well have been at Butlin's while Tom Kemp or whoever did Filey.

Or another possibility is that Butlins didn't have a Children's Entertainer who was a Punchman. They might have had a magician who didn't do Punch. In which case Butlins could well have had an arrangement with the local town Punchman to come in for one day a week to do a special show. That would have been quite feasible.

Or permutate any three from five, add the number of days since you last beat your wife, double it, and the answer is a multiple of nine, or it isn't.
Chris
Site Admin

Postby geoff.london » 10 Sep 2007, 11:52

Precisely, but the reason that Len Foote is a strong contender is a tape recording of an interview with him where he mentions Filey. I believe the show had a cat and dog fight in it although this could have been Tom Kemp. I will see if there is anything on the other performer.
Geoff.
geoff.london
Big Banger
Big Banger

Previous

Return to Punch Chat