If you think Punch keeps you busy.....

Anything relevant

Postby johnstoate » 11 Sep 2007, 13:59

Nice topboard, Richard, wouldn't mind seeing a close-up of that!
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 11 Sep 2007, 15:24

There's a part on this website called Punch in Pictures John. I think you will find a gallery devoted to Richard, and also galleries devoted to Covent Garden where Richard has appeared the last couple of years. You might well find a closer look at his pros in one of those photographs.

<p>
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby CvdC » 11 Sep 2007, 22:43

Richard keep an eye on the web becasuse one day someone will take a photo and put it up for you. Not to mention youtube.
Oh and speaking of Wales:
http://www.gtj.org.uk/en/subjects/5637

No puppets but you can see the booth quite well.
There is a video of a Professor Stediford with his Punch.

I have made the two images on that web site a bit clearer so they can be printed and included in the archive:
http://www.punchandjudy.com/dropbox/gal ... 6837_2.jpg
http://www.punchandjudy.com/dropbox/gal ... 6838_2.jpg
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby CvdC » 12 Sep 2007, 09:24

Chris I would very much like to see a video of that Grand Turk.
I don't suppose you would consider putting it on youtube?
The routine is very traditional and possibly will die out one day. The puppets may remain in various glass cases. There will be discriptions. But a video of it will be a real treasure.

Next time I am in the UK can I come to see it? Next year?
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 12 Sep 2007, 09:28

Ooh nice stuff Chris.

Lovely to see the silent movie footage too.

Those photos and film clip echo lots of recent themes and questions of threads here.

Such a tall booth and no visible guy ropes or tie downs.

Big puppets too. Bigger than mine.

The shape and size of Punch's hat ( very tall and flat ..I thought the puppet was the Policeman for a second or two ) ..but then it hit acho from my childhood , and both the Punches I saw regularly had similar hats.

All lovely to see . Thank You for sharing.

Best Wishes Richard

...Just got your second post CVDC ..I hope Chirs does let you Film the Grand Turk ..or have one of the next visitors to the Harlequin do it , and send it to you , or UTube it.

It was a joy to see !

He will doubtless say something about it not being performed as you would have seen it in Victorian times : --- as he performs it solo.

With a bigger troupe of puppeteers , they would have had a 'limb' each ..so the Turk would have simultaniously 'burst' apart like a firework ...becoming six different puppets in an instant.

But as I said to him ...as an observer "That would be spectacular... but 'blink , and you would have missed it !"

They way Chris does it , to music , with each part of the Turk jumping off seperately , it actually gives you time to see and savour what is going on ..and to marvel at the cleverness of it .

( And also it fills up a bigger chunk of the show .. all useful stuff when you are doing a varied programme single handed )

But yes it would be lovely to leave it on the Internet for Posterity.

..........and what is this cvdC ...you coming again next year ??!!!
...you mean the rain didnt put you off ? :-) vv
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby CvdC » 12 Sep 2007, 09:54

yes I plan to be an annual visitor from now on.
I love London and I think the people I met while there were fantastic.
You can't imagine what it is like to have such an obscure interest as this and then find yourself amongst a group of people who share that peculiar interest to the point of seriousness.
To like London is easy, it is an international city and a tourist destination. But to go beyond that is a real treat. You get into the nitty gritty of a culture. I went to a fete in Kent to see John Styles perform. Although it was very much like a fete you might see here in any country town it was still of enormous interest.
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby johnstoate » 12 Sep 2007, 10:14

Nice to hear you're coming over again Chris, - Bring us a steamer trunk full of that sunshine with you! - For what it's worth, I understand your point about the' obscure interest' perfectly, I am the same in that I've been performing for years, but only just got involved with the various bodies & the web. Being on here is a joy for me, even if it's a pain for everyone else!! :lol:
John
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby johnstoate » 12 Sep 2007, 11:10

Thanks, Chris, (S) - The link for Richard's gallery didn't actually work for me, but otherwise, yes, A fine frontage indeed! - This site is like the castle museum at York, - It would take you at least a week to see everything!
John
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 12 Sep 2007, 11:18

Like you Chris (S) I have my reservations about U-Tube.

But good to know that you have plans to make your own record of The Grand Turk and other shows.

I also agree with John about this site being so rich , as to take a week to look round fully.

Unlike The Castle Museum tho , things do also keep changing and improving on here ...so you are never certain you have seen it all anyhow :-) I hadnt used the UPLOAD PHOTOS function in a while , and I have just discovered how much more user friendly it is now ..Thanks again Chris.

But like John , I have noted that the link to 'The many of adventures of Richard Coombs " doesnt work ...I did spot this some months back ..but didnt want to be the first to mention it.

Best Wishes Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 12 Sep 2007, 12:24

Richard, if you spotted a dead link on the website and didn't let me know, shame on you!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 12 Sep 2007, 12:39

I thought it might look bad if I asked it to be fixed - as it was a link to pics of only my stuff.

And I must confess a slight bit of devilish curiosity , to see how long it would take before anyone else pointed it out ...so Thank You John :-)
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 12 Sep 2007, 12:50

Well it is fixed now.
But it is good practice to report dead links to the webmaster on any site you visit.
Chris
Site Admin

Postby johnstoate » 12 Sep 2007, 12:50

And I thought it was something I was doing wrong! :lol:
John
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 12 Sep 2007, 20:31

Well in that case , Im afraid the Link still doesnt work for me ( and Ive hit the 'refesh' button too.

Do I need to remove This website form my PC altogher..then re -google' it ( in case the cached copy stil holds the non working link?

Cheers Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby johnstoate » 12 Sep 2007, 20:42

Oh, dear, -I just tried it again as well, - and it still don't work, just says, 'server not found'
John
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

PreviousNext

Return to Punch Chat