Thanks to the Boy from Oz

Anything relevant

Thanks to the Boy from Oz

Postby Richard Coombs » 05 Sep 2007, 13:02

'Scuse the odd title ( I just couldnt bear to have another entry with the word Swazzle in LOL)

Cheers to CvdC , who has put an entry in the 'Swazzle Talk' part of this website listing the address of where to buy sheet silver.
Ironicaly it took someone from the other side of the planet to show me what was round the corner ( in Brum)

As it was so close I opted to call in and collect it rather than pay the P & P. They were extremely helpful.
They dont hold silver in stock , but I phoned at 3-30 on Monday , and picked up the silver while on a visit to Brum Rag Market yesterday ( Tuesday) at 1pm.

The £8 sheet was enough for 3 swazzles. In a couple of hours I cut out the plates ( using old kichen scissors as I dont have tin-snips), bent them , tied them and also made 3 new plastic ones.

One of each set is better than the other two ( my 'tying skills ' are still developing)

The two inferior palstic ones are Ok ,,but the 'good' one sounds exactly like the metal ones. Which is what Glyn and others have always said.

The two 'OK' metal ones sound as good as anything Ive used to date ...but the 'good' metal one is outstanding ; absolutely wonderful , and gives a lovely rich vibrating buzz.

So as with all things 'swazzle' ..it's 'Practice Practice' with tying too.

Despite the fact I do like the palstic ones , I cant help but feel as tho I've just made my first 'Grown-Up' swazzle LOL

Best Wishes Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 05 Sep 2007, 16:20

Richard, I've never used silver, how does it compare with aluminium for bendability/ ease of working and holding its shape once made up, also how easily can the shape be altered 'in the field' or in the car park!
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 05 Sep 2007, 16:24

By the way Richard, as it says on a range of greeting cards sold in Oxfam shops...

"Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional."

But my favourite is...

"Don't believe everything you think!"
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 05 Sep 2007, 18:27

Hello Les ..Ive not made any ally swazzles ..so can make comparisson.

But it bent easily enough by using two thumbs and pressing it round a bit of wooden broom handle ( which provided an even arch : but too deep)....it then shallowed-out nicely when pressed the other way on the workbench.

And it seems to have a nice mallability , in tha t it wont go out of shape in regular use ( it isnt 'soft') ..BUT a teaspoon handle inserted into a made up swazzle and twisted , does alter the shape ( so YES to answer your question , you could make adjustments when out in a field on a job)

The only drwback seems to be a very slight metalic taste ( but I repeat , only slight) ..which Brian Clarke tells me you dont get with ally .

All in all Im very pleased with my first attempts.

Best Wishes Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 13 Sep 2007, 18:58

Hello Proff Eeek ...I can see you are online...how you getting on with that plastic swazzle ..any joy yet?
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Professor Eek » 13 Sep 2007, 21:35

Must have just missed you kind sir - still struggling but have all bits ready to try 'fiddling' and, using your one kindly made for me, trying some new shapes and sizes with old plastic cards and tape etc.
==============================
incredibly bad magic and dreadful balloon modelling thrown in for free
Professor Eek
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Return to Punch Chat