What makes a maker?

Anything relevant

Postby lesclarke » 15 Sep 2007, 19:13

Nick, I like that style of 'wide open' eye, it's effective- it makes contact with the viewer but because of that very effectiveness I suppose they must be very carefully positioned on the face, and any tiny differences in where they are placed and the spacing etc will make all the difference between it 'working' or looking rather odd.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby johnstoate » 16 Sep 2007, 15:34

This thread is nothing if not interesting, but I note that we seem to be missing a contribution by Mr. Wilde. I should like to hear the 'collector's' view, most of what we have thus far seems to be from a 'performer's' standpoint.
So what are the elements which interest a collector? - Is it purely a question of aesthetics or of rarity?
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 16 Sep 2007, 17:30

It would be interesing to hear David's views especially on what he considers the 'pride' of his collection, and why.

Of course, this area of collecting differs greatly from most others as we are dealing with such a small number of items being made in the first place, and the collector's main problem is finding anything at all to add to the collection. He can't just pop along to a dealer and think 'Yes I wouldn't mind some of those,' he mostly is just so glad to have the opportunity to aquire new items.

Another point about a collection is that sometimes one may aquire things which don't personally appeal, but are aquired because they represent one different aspect of the subject.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 16 Sep 2007, 19:09

This is one of the most enjoyable threads on here in a long while :-))

Chris ( S) I was going to say the Indonesian Judy looked like a Bob Wade ... at first glance I would have said it was one of his ...but Bobs had that pointed bonnet in the way some 'Ghost's are done ( Im not explaining well , sorry ) , not a frill around the hat....that was the give away for me that it wasnt a real Bob Wade.

And to anwer you CvdC ...I supose if I had to answer the question as it stood ..then it would be a Mr Punch, as he is the only one to put on display in the workshop , or on a bookshelf as a stand alone figure or exhibit ( coz as I make my own I would not use anyone elses figures ..the idea is alien to me , so I wouldnt buy another member of the cast , with the intention of adding it into my show )

People that do that , often plump for buying the Crocodile ..as whatever style it is made in will not cause disharmony in an existing set of figures.

But my main instinct would be not to break up a complete set ... I feel in my bones that they should really only be sold as a complete item.

Anyhow the argument is accademic ... you would never get there before David Wilde !

I dont have any puppets made by other people ..non at all ...but I would really like a Brian Clarke Punch .

I know Brian is always busy , and has lots of orders in to make ...and if I was impatient then Im sure David Wilde has several dozen of them , just waiting for sale to good homes.

...But I would really like to commission a Punch from Brian ..and be there when he carves the head. That would be very special to me.

I must talk to him about it :-))

Best Wishes Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Previous

Return to Punch Chat