The Grand Turk

Anything relevant

The Grand Turk

Postby Chris » 15 Sep 2007, 12:11

Chris vdC mentioned in one posting that he would like to see a video clip of The Grand Turk. It may be that some readers are not familiar with this particular trick marionette.

It was a marionette which transformed from a single character into several smaller ones. Its most common incarnation was as a Turkish gentleman who transformed into the Chief Eunuch and the ladies of the Harem, but there have been many variations over the years. I have a Punch character which transforms into Judy, Policeman, Jack Ketch, Clown, Blackman and Devil. But the one which Richard saw in my Fantoccini Circus and reported on this board was a Victorian model - a Turkish figure who transforms into the Old lady who lived in a shoe with her children.
<center>Image Image</center>

Mine is only about 200 years old but the first recorded appearance of The Grand Turk was when a Fantoccini troupe opened in The Great Room, Panton Street in January 1779 when they advertised:
One figure transformed into six out of each arm, legs, head and body .... after which the same figure will dance a Cotillon the like as never attempted before in the metropolis.

So now you know.[/i]
Chris
Site Admin

Postby CvdC » 15 Sep 2007, 22:53

I want so much to make one of those. Is it strung the same as in John McCormack's book?
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 15 Sep 2007, 23:22

Yes, as far as it goes. Clodagh's drawings may be childish but her attention to stringing detail is accurate - which cannot be said for most marionette books.

However this is very a very complex puppet and string lengths are vital. Why on earth you want to make this before you have learned to work marionettes surprises me. Also it is nearly impossible to work single-handed.
Chris
Site Admin

Postby CvdC » 16 Sep 2007, 01:16

I may never be able to work it but just having one will be enough.
I have been practising my string puppetry. Now I know why you're so cantankerous on this board. At least with Punch you get to release all your frustrations.
Tell me Chris does your's dance a Cotillon?
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 16 Sep 2007, 10:41

Cantankerous? Me? It's the way you read it Chris.
Chris
Site Admin

Re: The Grand Turk

Postby Nick Jackson » 16 Sep 2007, 13:17

Chris wrote:I have a Punch character which transforms into Judy, Policeman, Jack Ketch, Clown, Blackman and Devil.

May we see that some time?
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby Richard Coombs » 16 Sep 2007, 19:45

I think that is the enchantment of the Turk CvdC ..I very seldom make marrionetes...yet I too would like to make a Grand Turk at some stage.

I really dont know why ..Id have absolutely no use for one .
And it would be quite unsuitable as a pre show marrionete for Punch .

Luckilly I am not short of things that do have a use that need making , so I wont be doing it any time soon . LOL

Regards Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 16 Sep 2007, 19:54

Actually it is a superb pre-Punch Show puppet Richard. I'm not going to disclose the routine here - but I might be persuaded to release it for a consideration.
Of course you have to make your puppet(s) first....

<p>
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 16 Sep 2007, 20:08

Aw ..no dont encourage me Chris ! LOL

I really was very taken with it at the Harlequin ...but as I said , I really do have too much else to build ( this Winter at least ). :-)
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Chat