Gone continental

Anything relevant

Gone continental

Postby CvdC » 19 Sep 2007, 10:51

I've gone over to the other side.
The food's better.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

wine

Postby Trev » 19 Sep 2007, 12:14

So's the wine, that's why his nose is red!
Trev
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby Chris » 19 Sep 2007, 23:30

Looks a bit Gnaff to me.
Chris
Site Admin

Postby CvdC » 20 Sep 2007, 00:31

tres drole
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 20 Sep 2007, 08:49

What no dangly corks on the hat Chris?

Nice looking costume :-))

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

rugby fan

Postby Trev » 20 Sep 2007, 09:27

Might I ask if he was made for the rugby world cup, Chris? I think his face colouring looks like a French flag :D
Trev
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby CvdC » 20 Sep 2007, 10:29

You know I believe the dangly corks is a myth.
Although my family only came to Australia in the 1950s and I personally have been here all my life I have never actually seen such a hat.
But Richard I think you'd look good in a bowler hat.
Also although I live in the city that produces "Neighbours" and even know people who have worked on that TV show I have never watched it.
So your cultural clichés are wasted on me. Sorry.
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 20 Sep 2007, 11:08

Odly enough , there was an article on Radio 2 the other day , where someone said they saw a buissinessman in 'The City' in London wearing a Bowler Hat the other day .....the sight was so odd that it made them realise just how long its been since that was very much the 'norm'.

I do remember seing lots of suited and bowler hated gents on the Waterloo to City Underground , many many moons ago.

Shame when these traditions die out.

And despite the fact I spent I whole Year working in Sydney ( about 10 years ago) ...I never once saw a corked hat ( except on a Mardi Gras float) ....mind you with the 'bugs' you have out there ...there was definately the market for 'em :-))

Likewise , I am sure you have never 'camped' around a Bilabong.
..I didnt see anyone do that ....even at Mardi Gras! ...they were too busy 'camping' elsewhere . vv

Best Wishes Richard.
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

bowlers

Postby Trev » 20 Sep 2007, 11:44

I seem to remember reading that one of the last major producers of bowler hats closed down a few years ago and it seemed to be the end of the bowler (according to the article).

Weren't the crks to scare away mosquitoes?

Chris, in case it seems I'm just sniping, I do like your Gnaffron (although I do think the face paint is a bit too strong; maybe it's just the photo). Are you planning to do a Guignol too?
Trev
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby geoff.london » 20 Sep 2007, 12:58

Locke, the hatters, still make bowlers and if you see a gent wearing one, its probably a guardsman in civvies. My father had one but he wasn't a guardsman and never wore it anyway. People used to wear hats but I think the fashion stopped when it was rumoured that it made the hair thin. A hat can really look good on a puppet though, which brings us back on subject.
I just hope Chris that your puppets don't adopt the european habit of standing still and talking a lot. There is a great deal of scope for Gnafron with his drinking habits to get up to lots of entertaining mischief!
Geoff.
geoff.london
Big Banger
Big Banger

Postby CvdC » 20 Sep 2007, 18:45

Yes back on subject.
The paint on Gnafron follows what I perceive to be a tradition. It is a sort of stylised beard and ruddy complexion. But I may have done it too strong. Also I am finding that the photos are emphasising things about the puppets that are not as apparent in real life. A professional portrait photographer took photos of some of my marionettes and they look surprisingly good.

I gather the art of being French is to talk a lot and wave your hands about while doing so. Their puppets do that too it seems. But Gnafron has a bottle. I'm sure one could do interesting things with that. (Perhaps at a Mardi Gras in Sydney.)

CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Gnafron

Postby Trev » 20 Sep 2007, 20:17

Yes, he is unshaven and generally drunk (hence the ruddy complexion). I take it that you've heard the story that he is based on an associate of Laurent Mourguet who was sacked for being drunk a lot. Just as Mourguet allegedly made Guignol in his own image he made Gnafron in his friend's image as revenge.
Trev
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby Professor Eek » 20 Sep 2007, 23:27

I love the colouring - very 'styleised' and striking
==============================
incredibly bad magic and dreadful balloon modelling thrown in for free
Professor Eek
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Return to Punch Chat