First Agricultural Show of the year.

Anything relevant

First Agricultural Show of the year.

Postby lesclarke » 19 May 2008, 11:55

Otley show is a traditional Agricultural Show, this year was the 199th event. I did it for the first time last year, and when I said that it was best to site the pitch so that the kids wouldn't be looking into the sun, I was told, "This is the Otley Show, you won't have that problem!"

Last year was very windy, this year reasonably bright with one period of light rain throughout the third show, but even then the audience stuck with the show 'til the end.

A thorough job by the commentator over the PA system ensured very good audiences for all 4 shows, and nice to see so many adults enjoying themselves.

A few photos on Flickr, some of the captions seem to have disappeared.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2154/250 ... 2b93_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2299/250 ... b83f_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3033/250 ... 979c_b.jpg
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Before and After the rain

Postby Robanti » 19 May 2008, 12:40

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8043104@N07/2504545539/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8043104@N0 ... otostream/

I like to get the early season bookings, but the weather is not too kind at this time of year.

TC
Tony "Robanti" Clarke
Robanti
Big Banger
Big Banger

Postby Chris » 19 May 2008, 12:58

Why don't you fellows use the very efficient picture upload built into this board which is easy to use, gives a thumbnail view in your posting, and a large size view for those who wish to see the detail -
rather than the slow and clunky flickr which just displays an ugly chunk of code?
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby lesclarke » 19 May 2008, 15:26

I'll have a look again at the latest picture loading facility Chris, from memory,(it was a while back when I read it through) I think that because of file size I would have to re-size my pics before uploading, and linking to pics I've already put on Flickr anyway is quicker.

I think the interweb is wonderful, but at times I find it very hard to turn on the 'technical' section of my brain.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Robanti » 19 May 2008, 16:43

I do as you know upload pics, but it is size that means I have do more, so on this occation I did the Flicr thing.

TC
Tony "Robanti" Clarke
Robanti
Big Banger
Big Banger

Postby Chris » 19 May 2008, 17:48

Les, you don't have to resize anything, or read anything. You only need to have the picture on your computer or on your camera linked to your computer. You simply click "Add image to post" and browse to wherever the picture is located. That's all. You can add a caption if you want. If you can upload to Flickr then you can upload here while standing on your head.

Tony - Size doesn't matter if you use the facility built into this message board. Whenever you enter a message, at the bottom left hand of the screen is the query "Add image to post". It's neat, and its easy. I don't mean the upload facility in the picture galleries page on the main site, which you use Tony, I mean the dedicated facility here on this message board.

It has an added advantage in that the pictures are held on the web, with an address you can link to from anywhere. Thus you can link from your own website or blog. The pictures remain there even if this message board is deleted.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby lesclarke » 19 May 2008, 20:16

Reading it all again, I had confused megabites with megapixels, so my sub 2 MB files are not as I thought too big.

...but it does end up huge when viewed full size!
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 19 May 2008, 20:32

Yes but it isn't huge on the message board - and in fact its not even on my server so it isn't using up my webspace.
If you take pictures to use on the web rather than to enlarge and print for framing etc., then you can set your camera for taking web quality pictures. This will give you many more pictures before your memory card is full, and will also deliver a smaller picture which will upload faster. Your camera settings are delivering a picture of 300 dots per inch which is fine for high quality litho printing but a complete waste for a computer monitor which can only display 78 dots per inch. That is why your picture is so huge - every inch of picture as printed on paper becomes about four inches on the screen.

(For the pedantic, I am aware that actually you don't measure the screen in dots but rather in pixels, and you really can't equate screen and paper measurement - but the general idea is there)

However if you ( or anyone) fancies doing some simple editing and manipulation of photos to resize and crop etc then drop me an email and I'll point to a couple of free programs which are ideal.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby lesclarke » 20 May 2008, 12:00

With technical things my brain works better when it sort of gets on without my involvement, it works things out in the background.

Once something is on Flickr, I've realised, (by sleeping on it) that it's quick and simple to drag a suitably sized version back to my hard drive and then download it.

That's another way to do it!

lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Chat