Melodrama

Anything relevant

Melodrama

Postby James » 03 Jun 2008, 23:18

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uoL1Ye7kmJo

Professor Melodrama's show. Slightly sped up footage but gives you an idea.
Arnott's Gowns for Clowns, Est 1985
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby David Wilde » 03 Jun 2008, 23:25

Ah yes this is the person on the directoy,who seems to do every thing but paint your front door when they come to do a show!

Shame they have not worked out that Punch and Judy are hand puppets,and not marottes!

Just glad it was sped up,less painfull that way!
Im above all this!!
David Wilde
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Postby Chris » 04 Jun 2008, 10:25

Judging by the proscenium I suspected that this was really James in drag, then I remembered that he uses puppets rather than decorated wooden spoons. I note how cleverly the lady has realised the great publicity value of youtube and has uploaded the funniest and best manipulated sequence from her show. After all, it is there for millions to view, and is likely to stay there for many years to come as evidence of her ability.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby lesclarke » 04 Jun 2008, 10:30

Shame, I could do with my front door painting, but it's at the end of a very, very long list.
But, it's a nice sunny day up here, and I've learnt a new word, 'marotte'.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby James » 04 Jun 2008, 10:45

A great word Les.

It's French for 'ropey puppet show'.
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 04 Jun 2008, 15:12

Gosh...Thanks for sharing that James .
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby James » 06 Jun 2008, 15:55

On the (since vanished) subject of undercutting...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby David Wilde » 06 Jun 2008, 17:55

'It's the amateurs that make it difficult for the professional'

Too right it is!
Im above all this!!
David Wilde
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Postby Chris » 06 Jun 2008, 18:29

I don't mind the amateurs, its the inept professionals that cause the damage.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Professor Eek » 07 Jun 2008, 19:09

An inept professional wouldn't last too long in the trade you'd think ....

Perhaps it's those who are 'struggling' who need to adapt?

I shall now duck down behind the sofa ... :twisted:
==============================
incredibly bad magic and dreadful balloon modelling thrown in for free
Professor Eek
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Postby Chris » 07 Jun 2008, 21:32

You might think Martyn - but with a little more experience and discernment you will discover the dreadful truth that a lot of damage is done by those purveying poor shows. Unfortunately when someone has been disappointed by a poor magician at their child's party they tend to say "I'll never book another magician." They do not say "Oops, I must have booked a poor example, I'll try and get a better one next time." They assume that what they have experienced is par for the course.

True story: Two years ago in January while performing at a child's bd party in a community centre I overheard a group of Mum's discussing the lady clown who had evidently performed at the Playgroup Christmas Party. One said: "Well at least she didn't make them cry this year."
The point not being that this performer had made the kids cry the previous year, but that she had evidently been re-booked nevertheless. Whoever was doing the booking apparently unaware that there were children's entertainers available who avoid making kids cry.
This particular lady clown has been working for many years and has a biggish well-designed Yellow Pages advert.
I wouldn't book her - but she keeps getting the bookings, presumably because people are unaware that they could get better. Therefore it means that other children's entertainers are assumed to be of her low standard.
Similarly a poor Punch show reflects not only on that performer, but on all Punch shows. Many people will only ever book a Punch show once in their lives. If they get a good one they will think well of Punch and Judy, if they get a bad one ....

Another curious thing is that the really good Punch men often do not realise how good they are, and frequently worry about how they are being received - while some of the worst are absolutely blind to their shortcomings and seem blissfully confident of their own excellence. I said Punchmen but the same observation can be made about magicians and kids entertainers generally.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 09 Jun 2008, 10:33

Fantastic Clip James ...love it ...too true , every word.

Perked my day up seeing someone get on thier soapbox , and talk some sense :-)
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby johnstoate » 09 Jun 2008, 10:58

I s'pose it's a bit like one of my notices - 'If you enjoy the show, TELL YOUR FRIENDS & THE ORGANIZERS. - IF NOT, TELL ME - First! I only get the usuals as to violence, Which tends to surprise me. (Now joining Eek behind the sofa!!! ):lol:
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Tony James » 09 Jun 2008, 13:44

That post from Chris was so close. An event last year had as ever its share of magicians, different one both days. Nice people, probably very skilled, undoubtedly more magically skilled than I but that doesn't take much. Sadly, nice as they were, never knew what they were doing.

Arrived with their bag and table and heaven knows what else, ready dressed and with shoes and trouser bottoms mud splattered. They hadn't realised a changing tent was available. Hadn't established in advance the ground rules and so had to set their table up on the grass, by the side of the stage, occupied by the previous act. Acts work back to back at this event.

Both managed to drop props off and out of their tables as they tried to lift them up onto the stage. neither had thought to bring a microphone clip to hold one of the range of mikes available and so kept losing the sound as they bobbed and weaved about in front of the mike in the stand. Gave the impression they weren't used to mikes..

Both had perfectly acceptable material though it wasn't inspiring and their inability to move smoothly from one effect to another - and in one case make up his mind which of the effects hidden in his table he was going to use - resulted in an initial audience of perhaps 50 or 60 which I handed over to him, vanishing so he ended up with just a handful and those were mainly four year olds with their parents.

The outcome has been that they have discontinued magicians. And no clowns either, not at any price.

As ever.these things are run by committee and the old boy in charge of the entertainment stage commented on a curiosity. At one time, when there were few children's entertainers available they always had good ones. Now, when there are so many available, good ones are he said 'as scarce as hen's teeth.'

Punch, which I build up to the side of the stage, continues to pull big crowds!

On this point, I imagine we all find that at public events we pull more adults than children, often far more. But whereas previously parents have sat/stood behind they have increasingly sat with the children and this year they are sitting right at the front, preventing other children from being able to see properly. And they won't move when asked.

And this last weekend the front row was twice occupied by three lots of mother, father, child and baby in one of those thumping great pushchairs.

I scored a bullseye on two of them with my squirting water!

Are you finding this sort of family sticking together habit too?
Tony James

Magic With A Punch!
Tony James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Professor Eek » 09 Jun 2008, 19:16

I concour Tony - also noticing a lot of adults coming along without kids (some of who have them but don't want them to spoil 'their' fun)

I had such a group at my second show on Saturday and they were really getting into the show - far more than most children would!

Brilliant!
==============================
incredibly bad magic and dreadful balloon modelling thrown in for free
Professor Eek
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Return to Punch Chat