1891 onwards

Anything relevant

1891 onwards

Postby CvdC » 01 Jul 2008, 04:48

Interesting that two entries in the 1891 census have two names associated with Punch and they both still have ancestors performing.

178, Carveth (Greenwoods Row) St Austell, Cornwall, 1891
(ref RG12/1823 - Part 1)
John Maggs, lodger, single, 17, Punch and Judy Showman, Bristol Gloucestershire

5 Bodafon Row, Llandudno, Caernarvonshire, 1891
Richard Codman, head, 58, Norwich, punchinello artist
Charlotte Codman, wife, 49, Norwich
Laura Codman, daughter, 23, Rhyl, Flintshire, actress
Florence Codman, daughter, 17, Liverpool
John Codman, son, 15, Liverpool
Herbert Codman, son, 10, Liverpool
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Nick Jackson » 01 Jul 2008, 19:47

And Herbert's descendants are still living there now. The houses were renumbered from the other end when it was renamed Bodafon Street – it's now number 28. Richard's eldest son, Richard, was by that time working in Liverpool.
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby The Beadle » 02 Jul 2008, 09:03

Fascinating subject. More please. Did you have to trawl the census for the information or is there some way of putting in a trade and the info is displayed?
The Beadle
Chipolata
Chipolata

Postby CvdC » 03 Jul 2008, 23:00

One of the most popular activities on the web is family genealogy. So the government records have been digitised and made available to various researchers. One of whom has an interest in itinerant showmen. Fortunately the 1891 census includes professions like "Punchinello artist".
I note that also the Jessons have their family tree online.
The records of the Old Bailey are also online. Which is interesting as there are a few records of people being arrested pickpocketing at a Punch and Judy show.
And there was a "Motion maker" mentioned as a witness.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Chat