Making puppets

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

Making puppets

Postby Cood123 » 18 Jan 2011, 00:57

Does anyone know where I can find plans for making all the characters out of wood?
"It isn't my plan to make Mr. Punch more American, but to make America more aware of Mr. Punch."
-Something I said to my brother
Cood123
Chipolata
Chipolata

Re: Making puppets

Postby Chris » 18 Jan 2011, 19:01

I suggest you look on this website.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

simple wooden puppets

Postby CvdC » 21 Jan 2011, 00:02

The diagram below shows two profiles for a simple Punch puppet.
The one with the nose is shown drawn on a piece of wood so that the grain runs down the nose.
If this wood is 1 1/4" thick you could cut it out using a fret saw.
The other profile is cut out twice and only includes the cheeks and eyes. If these pieces were also the same thickness it could include ears. Although these can be glued on separately.
Cut out the side pieces so that they look like the view shown on the far right of the diagram.
The three pieces are then glued together.

Using the rasp, file and chisel the nose and chin are rounded and the sides of the head rounded also. The top of the head can be left flat.
Using a 7/8th " bit you drill a hole for the finger. You can also drill a number of holes into the top of the head and with a gouge hollow out the top of the head to reduce weight.
Using the gouge you can define the mouth, the eyes and cheeks. The more you carve out the more character you give your puppet and less weight it will have.
The rest is sanding and painting.
For this sort of head all you require in the way of hand tools are; fret saw, vice, rasp and file,7/8th gouge and mallet, drill and spade bit and sand paper.
If you want to make a whole set of wooden puppets it may be best not to start with a Punch. Practice by making a baby first. If you make a mistake with a head cut its nose off and you can use it as a ghost.

It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Cood123 » 28 Jan 2011, 20:22

Thanks for all the great tips you guys.

What wood would you say I need to use? A friend of mine suggested basswood.
"It isn't my plan to make Mr. Punch more American, but to make America more aware of Mr. Punch."
-Something I said to my brother
Cood123
Chipolata
Chipolata

Postby Chris » 28 Jan 2011, 21:52

I suggest you read through the postings in this section. There has been discussion of different woods ad nauseam. Look at "Timber" October 16th last, or "wood for carving" 18th march 2008 or July 20th 2008. It's probably also covered on the main website either in Punchman's Tips or under Frequently Asked Questions.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Trevek » 29 Jan 2011, 10:22

Cood, if you use the "search this forum" on the main list of forum contents you may find something useful.
Trevek
Big Banger
Big Banger

Return to Punch Workshop