Heights and Depths

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

Heights and Depths

Postby Richard Coombs » 01 Jul 2011, 21:56

Hello fellow woodworkers ...
Im finally back home after yonks of "Mongrels 2 " filming , and have headed straight back into the workshop.

My Summer Season at 'The Heights of Abraham" in Derbyshire starts on Monday 25th July and runs until Friday 3rd Sept . This year I am there every single day of that time , doing 3 shows a day - and for anyone planning a visit they are at 11-30 1-30 and 3-30 .

This will be my 6th consequetive Summer there , but this is the first year doing every day with no breaks .
So to make life a bit more comfy for myself ( and to house the extra puppets and some large props ) I am expanding the Depth of the wooden booth I leave up there all season .

Here it is last year , all closed up at the end of the day :

And here it is in my Garden Yesterday :
And at close of play today :Image

I plan to keep posting pictures all through the project , in the ,probably misguided , belief that it might be of interest to anyone other than me :-)
It will probably occasion a fair bit of ridicule ...possibly only Mark Poulton will understand :-)

Bye for now.
Last edited by Richard Coombs on 07 Jul 2011, 23:15, edited 5 times in total.
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: Heights and Depths

Postby Richard Coombs » 01 Jul 2011, 21:59

Replaced the pics with ones the right way up
Last edited by Richard Coombs on 07 Jul 2011, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 01 Jul 2011, 21:59

Know how to "edit' but not how to Delete an unwanted entry ...so will put photos of 'building up' booth at heights in here to fill it :-)

Last edited by Richard Coombs on 07 Jul 2011, 23:28, edited 2 times in total.
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby CvdC » 01 Jul 2011, 22:39

Looks like your building some decking on which to relax between shows. I do hope you've contacted Kevin McCleod to film this latest build.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 03 Jul 2011, 08:10

Had a good day yesterday , it doesnt look like a verandah anymore:

The old Back door is now a Side door :
Even got a roof frame made , and covered in Plywood :

Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 03 Jul 2011, 11:11

Does it take a King size, Richard, or are you limited to a double bed?
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby paulwheeler » 03 Jul 2011, 21:44

all you want now Richard is Sky Tv and you will be well away!!!! :P looking really good do like your booth.
Love being a Punch & Judy man!
paulwheeler
Beefy
Beefy

Postby Richard Coombs » 03 Jul 2011, 23:00

Thanks for that Paul ; glad you like it !
Well all joking aside , you and Chris are both kind of right -
Heights of Abraham have fitted an outdoor ( waterproof garden type) electrical socket into the hedge right behind where I situate my booth. This is so that I can charge my microphone batteries and speaker unit between shows -- but the advantage wasn't lost on me that I can now also bring either my notebook computer or mobile DVD player , and watch stuff between shows.

And Yes , there is room , just , to lay out flat inside.
Also a padded , angled leaning board is planned and on the 'to build' list , to allow for a bit of shut-eye inbetween shows if required also.

Yesterday lots seemed to get done - but it was 'broad strokes' and easy stuff.

This is what I got done in the same amount of time today:

Three corner shelves , for storage obviously , but also to brace and strengthen the whole structure.
The Devil is certainly in the Detail , as the saying goes ; this was more fiddly and time consuming that yesterdays build.

Another benefit of Mains Power is being able to use a sewing machine in there too ..so shelf heights were worked out accordingly , and the main shelf is just big enough to be a snug but servicable workshop for sewing and painting puppets.

Time consuming , but worth it hopefully :-)

If the weather holds good , I will face up the panels in Plywood tomorrow : a more straightforward task.

All the Best Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby CvdC » 03 Jul 2011, 23:31

Richard send the plans to Mark Poulton and then he could rent out the back of his booth as a holiday flat.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 04 Jul 2011, 22:17

I realise that there are now some of you who simply would not be able to sleep without this daily update on the Booth Build :roll:
Middle of the day things looked like this :

And even as the daylight faded , I completed putting the ply on the last panel :

Plywood on , and edges sanded . All took much longer than expected ( but then I always seem to underestimate how much time work takes ) So have not drilled the holes though yet , thought thats a better morning job.

Then I can assemble it all again - to check that none of the Ply has affected the 'fit'.
Also I can mark out the stripes , before taking it apart again to paint.

-- Now you can all Sleep easy :-) Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 06 Jul 2011, 21:19

End of Play on Tuesday Things looked like this :

I added a rack to take my boxes that contain Painting Kit and Sewing kit .. a holder for my Desk Lamp , and a storage locker that can be padlocked.

Here is the view seen from through the Proscenium Opening :

Today the weather finally broke !
Been building for 7 days solid now and today was the first rain.
So lucky to have done it all when I did .

Even today was showers with plenty of sunshine to dry things out again in between.
The only really heavy downpour lasted about 12 minutes , which I spent inside the booth , enjoying the sound of the rain on the ply roof , and checking to see where water got in - Only one place and that was easily fixed.
Had it not rained , I would not have discovered the leak until the start of the Season - so its an 'Ill Wind that that Blows no Good ".

Today I strengthened around the door opening , put in the rebate , and did all the 'trim' :

The Heights of Abraham is a safe venue at night , by virtue of the fact that it is an extremely exhausting and uphill hike when the cable car stops running.
So unwanted visitors are rare.

I never leave anything stored in the Theatre at night anyhow.
So in all the years I have been there , the door has only 'locked' with window sash locks ( turning hex key ) .
But now the set up 'looks' more impressive , I figure it could get targeted should any local lads be mad enough to want to hike up the Hill in the dark to cause mischief , so I have fitted two Hasps for padlocks.

The only part now that needs any major work and Trim is the Roof piece.
This I will do in the morning when I dismantle the whole thing for Painting.
The next time it is all assembled will be up at The Heights of Abraham .

Night All vv
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Miraiker » 07 Jul 2011, 17:39

Richard
I just wanted to tell you how much I'm enjoying watching the building of your extension.
I've started lying awake at night wondering what will go on next.
A bit concerned about whether the sheer scale of it might require planning permission but I won't be the one to grass you up.
Loving it.
Thanks
Who'd want a proper job?
Miraiker
Big Banger
Big Banger

Postby Chris » 07 Jul 2011, 21:31

How many journeys on the chair lift will be required to get the cathedral to the summit?
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby martin@no10 » 07 Jul 2011, 21:51

That's looking great Richard. If I attempted that it would be a shoogly construction........
I hope you don't get stung with Council Tax.......

Best Wishes,

Martin
martin@no10
Porky
Porky

Postby Richard Coombs » 07 Jul 2011, 22:08

LOL cheers everyone .
Hopefully no council tax.

No pictures today ..today rushed by in a blurr .
I am putting in my two 'old ladies' into the show this summer.
I did do them once at Covent garden ( it was the year I had the lazy tongs 'extension' on my regular booth to fit in all the extra bits of nonesence - like the "ladies" )

One is pushing a plaid shopping trolley : of the sort used by old ladies to carry shopping , and assist in walking at the same time ( she's the 'nice' one that likes Punch and Judy ) ..the other ( the 'miserable' one ) holds two carrier bags , and wants the Punch show stopped , and banned - guess which one gets a taste of the slpastick !

But the puppet with the trolley is a big thing , and needs a supported place to 'be' before and after she is used -- so this morning a made a tailored stand for her , that bolts onto one of the new shelves.
Also I trimmed up the roof as planned , and dismantled the new bits , and sanded the edges ( again) ready to paint ....and that seems to have devoured the day .

Should have taken photos , always worth a thousand words.
But the booth wont be fully assembled again at ground level , next time it is all bolted together will be 800 feet up the air atop of "heights'.

To answer your question Chris ...probably 12 cable car loads ( as the booth as it was journeyed up in about 6 cars )
But last year I braved the long and winding service road that H-O-A staff use .
My Little Dihatsu van makes it up there Ok ..my larger transit would probably get 'grounded ' in a couple of spots...so it will be two van trips .

Should be fun !
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Next

Return to Punch Workshop