Swazzle

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

Swazzle

Postby Cood123 » 28 Aug 2011, 23:59

I've been trying for DAYS now to make my own swazzle so I have something to practice with while I wait for the money to order my Mr. Punch.

I'm following the instructions in "How To Do Punch and Judy" By: Sidney De'Hempsey, and I simply can't keep it tight.

How can I wrap the swazzle and still keep the center piece of tape tight enough to make noise?
"It isn't my plan to make Mr. Punch more American, but to make America more aware of Mr. Punch."
-Something I said to my brother
Cood123
Chipolata
Chipolata

Re: Swazzle

Postby Chris » 29 Aug 2011, 12:08

It shouldn't be tight. But full instructions for making and using the swazzle can be found on this website.http://punchandjudy.com/swazzle.htm
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Cood123 » 29 Aug 2011, 18:37

Thanks, I'll add that to my list of reading material.
"It isn't my plan to make Mr. Punch more American, but to make America more aware of Mr. Punch."
-Something I said to my brother
Cood123
Chipolata
Chipolata

Postby Giraldus » 14 Sep 2011, 00:28

It was 11pm and I got the nerve to take my purchased swazzle apart. I had made Uilleann pipe reeds and I wasn't looking forward to the reed business..making trying, unmaking, making trying. But I had to do it. I was getting zero sound. So I cut the cotton threads that hold the tape in place... and took it apart.
I then wet the tape in a cup of water. Then I followed the instructions I found here. As soon as I could get the tape to touch itself on the wrap, I put a needle and thread to secure the first wrap - then wrap all the remainder around and sewed it all together leaving a bit of thread, to hang outside my mouth (because I figure I could swallow this). But it felt comfortable and I didn't have to have it way back on my tongue to work it. And if you have to wrap a few times, no worries. Cotton tape is pretty sturdy. Mine tape is not insane tight. Just reasonably snug. As I have read...use wet tape. You will have to (if you use silver)...play with the bend lightly to find the sweet spot. Good luck!
Giraldus
Weenie
Weenie

Return to Punch Workshop