battling knights

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

battling knights

Postby CvdC » 25 Oct 2011, 04:38

http://www.speckinspace.com/whatsit/knights.mp4
A little video of a recent project.

They are at present naked as I was experimenting with the ropes. I strung them two different ways and had my children play with them to see which proved to be better than the other.
So I will soon have a recreation of these:

The idea being that I can go to schools and demonstrate a number of different puppet types and do a show.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: battling knights

Postby lesclarke » 25 Oct 2011, 09:39

That's a nice project Chris, and the movement looks promising. As with jig dolls, sometimes they work unbelievably well and then can suddenly look clumsy, but kids, and of course adults are always fascinated.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: battling knights

Postby Chris » 25 Oct 2011, 12:01

These type of marionettes are more often seen worked on the ground, with one string tied to a post and the other to the operator's leg. He usually plays an instrument and keeps time with his foot, and the doll jerks rhythmically. The movement is, as you say Les, sometimes very effective as with some jig dolls, and sometimes disappointing. In my limited experimentation I found that very loose jointing was more likely to lead to serendipitous movements.
I have seen a couple of examples of planchette puppet recreations on Youtube. If I can find the link - which I must have saved somewhere, I'll post it.
Certainly a very interesting project.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Return to Punch Workshop